We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groceries pre-island bridge

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
381 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Groceries pre-island bridge

We'll be arriving from the airport in Ft. Myers. Any good grocery stores you would recommend to stock up before we cross the bridge? Would prefer not to pay the premium prices on Sanibel for stapes for the room.

Thanks so much.

Riverview, Florida
Level Contributor
178 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Groceries pre-island bridge

There is an Albertson's and 2 or 3 Publix's on Summerlin Rd. The Walmart supercenter is on Six Mile Cypress Rd. right before US 41.

Publix has some great buy one get one free specials every week.

New York
Level Contributor
381 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Groceries pre-island bridge

Ahhhh! Walmart :)

My favorite. Thanks so much.

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
452 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Groceries pre-island bridge

Publix. But there are two wonderful groceries on Sanibel--Bailey's and Jerry's. A bit higher than off island, but certainly worth the convenience.

Waukee, Iowa
Level Contributor
175 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Groceries pre-island bridge

we used to always stop at Wal mart...too frustrating. It is always packed and has very few checkout lanes open...it took forever and was so frustrating...we just wanted to get to Sanibel! If you have plenty of time waiting to check into your lodgings, Wal-Mart is probably the cheapest. Now we run into a Publix...grab what we need in about a fourth of the time and hit the causeway. It costs a little more but is worth it. We still end up going to Jerry's and Bailey's because we eat in most of the time. The CVS pharmacy on island sometimes has good prices on soda and bottled water.

NJ
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Groceries pre-island bridge

I always stop at the Walmart or Publix. there is also a Costco there too which isint bad for grabbing alot of drinks, beers, paper towels, etc etc etc.

I do not mind the Walmart in Ft Myers. It is always a pleasurable experience to go there and actually have smiling friendly check out perople. You very rarely find that in NJ ! Well at least the walmarts i have been too.

Maryland
Level Contributor
407 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Groceries pre-island bridge

there is also a Fresh Market in the Belle Tower shops at Rt. 41 & Daniels. It's a bit more upscale than Publix & Albertson's, and a bit more costly, too, but they have a much wider selection of organics and hard-to-find-on-the-island type of things.

Newtown...
Level Contributor
417 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Groceries pre-island bridge

Agree with Sanibeltraveler.... we shop at Bailey's or Jerry's. It's worth a few extra dollars to give the business to local merchants on Sanibel.

Fairborn, Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Groceries pre-island bridge

Yup, the Walmart supercenter on Six Mile Cypress Rd. is where I shop for basics/non-perishables, too. You don't want to pay Jerry's or Bailey's prices for suntan lotion! While Walmart is always crowded on a Saturday, I don't recall any bad lines. An additional thought, though: there are times when traffic snarls or accidents on the causeway delay progress enough that meats, dairy, etc., purchased in Fort Myers might not safely survive the trip.

I love both Jerry's and Baileys and spend plenty at each when I visit. I'll also throw in a plug for Jerry's restaurant - I tried dinner there in Jun 2011 and was pleased with the meal, service, and pricing. Not a high-end dining experience, but good food very reasonably priced.

Fort Myers
Level Contributor
713 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Groceries pre-island bridge

I avoid Wal-Marts where ever I go, just because they always are mad-houses, even in FM.

I would put in a plug for Jerry's and Bailey's, the latter especially. I don't think either would go out of business without our patronage. But I believe in supporting local businesses.

The price differential is not as great as is assumed or rumored. You will, however, pay a little more for the convenience of not having to leave the island ($6 toll to get back on)

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,351 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Groceries pre-island bridge

Go on the Publix website. There is a store locator, and you can look at the current week sales paper.