We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending a few hours in Tallahassee on a Football Saturday!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
198 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Spending a few hours in Tallahassee on a Football Saturday!

My travels have me passing through Tallahassee for a few hours this Saturday. My hope would be to park the car near the State Capitol, see it, maybe check out the Florida History Museum and grab a bite to eat. This would all be happening between Noon and 3pm.

Here's the potential issue... I see that this is a football Saturday and apparently Parents Weekend to boot. Just how insane is my plan? I'm not going to the game, but my few hours in the city will be happening while the game is playing - so I'm just curious how bad traffic/congestion will be if I am approaching the State Capitol area around Noon this Saturday.

Any thoughts? Any good suggestions for lunch in that area? Hoping to drive off and explore Wakulla Springs later in the afternoon as well.

4 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,622 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending a few hours in Tallahassee on a Football Saturday!

Its going to be crowded but not impossible. There is a historical walking tour around the capital area. Stop at the visitors center / chamber of commerce for info or you might be able to download a map online. Its not as bad as the weekends they are all moving in to campus. That week is insane.

If you arrive after the game has started and leave before it ends then you will miss a good part of the traffic. Most of it will be coming in off of I-10. There are 4 exits on I-10 to get into / our of the city. Pick one on the outskirts that will take you to Capital Circle, you can then approach the downtown area from the east or west side and miss some of the major traffic to the north. Its been a number of years since my son wen to school there so hopefully one of the locals will come along with more info soon.

Apalachicola...
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending a few hours in Tallahassee on a Football Saturday!

The campus is mostly car free so gameday tailgating and parking were moved closer to the Capital at the Tucker Center. As crummy of the team is playing there are fewer people coming to games so don't worry about horrible traffic. Park in Kleman Plaza garage with entrances on S. Duval Street and S. Bronough using US 90 or North Monroe to get downtown. Not a lot of dining near the Capital- Andrews on Adams is fine and Harry's is at Kleman Plaza. Another option is to park at the Leroy Collins public library and walk a few blocks. You will encounter road closures to the west of these aforementioned streets on Football Saturdays which elimates all the new restaurants in College Town. If you can hold off on eating the Lodge at Wakulla Springs will refund your Park admission if you eat there. Food is pretty good there too!

tallahasseedowntown.com

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
198 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending a few hours in Tallahassee on a Football Saturday!

Thank you both for the advice to help guide me during my short stay in Tallahassee tomorrow. My plan is definitely to eat at the Lodge for dinner tomorrow night, in conjunction with time spent enjoying the park, and whatever parts of the Lodge I can access while there. I was just curious about lunch ideas, since I plan to be in downtown Tallahassee during lunch time.

Thanks again! Looking forward to a sunny day in the Sunshine State!

Apalachicola...
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending a few hours in Tallahassee on a Football Saturday!

There's are not a lot of dining options near the Capital unless you drive. On foot Andrews (on Adams) is opened and Harry's is opened. There is Metro Deli on South Monroe Street. There is an upscale place on Park Ave but the name escapes me.

Reply to: Spending a few hours in Tallahassee on a Football Saturday!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted