We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking ease/safety

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Topic
walking ease/safety

I'm looking at staying at maybe the La Quinta near I-10/Monroe or the Suburban Extended Stay a little further down Monroe, and wondering if it's feasible/safe to walk from there to the W. Tharpe/High Road area. During the day? After dark? Through the neighborhoods or on the major streets? How much pedestrian traffic will there be in this area at various times of day? (Will be there about a week after FSU graduation if that matters.)

Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
147 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking ease/safety

The LaQuinta is quite a distance from W. Tharpe and High Road so it is too far (I think) to be walking. Tally is truly a college town (to me-residents may disagree) so when the colleges aren't in session, there is a lot less pedestrian activity. Crime is on the uptick there so I would be cautious, but not afraid. I would say limit your late night walking through most neigborhoods just because crime can happen anywhere. Once students are gone, it'll be just you and local residents who usually only walk near Lake Ella.

Tallahassee
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walking ease/safety

Jen,

I have been trying to figure this out. From La Quinta, the shortest route is to take Stone Rd. turn left on Old Bainbridge and right on High. The problem is the lack of sidewalks-at least on Stone. I can't recall High but I am pretty sure there are sidewalks. Stone Rd. is narrow and has drainages ditches on the sides. It would not be the most pleasent place to walk but as long as there is enough space between the road and the ditches, you should be ok.

The distance is about three miles.

I am going to be in that area today. I will take a look and let you know about the sidewalks. As far as being safe, I think you would be fine. The roads are well traveled. However, I would not walk them alone at night.

Also, the area you are asking about is not real close to FSU so there probably won't be many students walking. However, many students live in the area (including my three children!).

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: walking ease/safety

Thanks both of you for the replies. There will be two of us walking, but I don't imagine we'd be out walking just the two of us late at night anyway.

I guess I was thinking from looking at it on google maps that these hotels were more like 1.5-2 miles from that area, but maybe I just calculated wrong.

In any event, walking along drainage ditches doesn't sound like much fun.

If there are good/better routes for walking, I'd love to know them, but it sounds like driving may just be the best way to go.

Thanks again!

Tallahassee
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walking ease/safety

Jen,

I mapquested the La Quinta Inn to Godby High School, which is at High and Tharpe, and came up with about three miles. If you will have car, definitely drive.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: walking ease/safety

Thanks. That's good info. We will have a car. My brothers just opened a restaurant there, and my mom and I are going to visit them. I was hoping to be able to have a couple drinks with dinner and walk back to the hotel, but we'll figure something else out. :)

Tallahassee
Level Contributor
128 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: walking ease/safety

Can you tell us the name of the restaurant your brother opened?

I am always interested in eating at new restaurants!

Tallahassee
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: walking ease/safety

It would be a short taxi ride. And I would also like to knwo the name of your brothers restaurant.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: walking ease/safety

It's Monk's Bar & Grill (www.eatatmonks.com). I hadn't considered taxis. Are they plentiful? Do you call for them or flag them down? Thanks for all the answers!

Tallahassee
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: walking ease/safety

Call.

10. Re: walking ease/safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Tallahassee