We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dalton to Niagra Falls or St Augustine?

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
37 posts
1,357 reviews
Dalton to Niagra Falls or St Augustine?

We will be staying with family who live in Dalton Georgia in July for two weeks.

We are trying to decide if we should visit Niagra Falls or St Augustine Fl. We will be staying for a few nights and will be driving to one of these locations in a hire car.

Can anyone tell me the approximate driving time and distance to each destination?

Your views/knowledge of each location may assist us to select one of the locations to stay at?

Thanks. Old Bear.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,311 posts
103 reviews
1. Re: Dalton to Niagra Falls or St Augustine?

Everyone I know who's been to Niagara Falls was disappointed. Plus, it's like a 2 day drive.

St. Augustine is somewhat interesting historically, but it's very touristy. The day and a half I spent there was plenty. The beaches there aren't as beautiful as those on the Gulf Coast.

If I were you I would look at Savannah or Charleston. Or, if you want beach, look at Destin or Gulf Shores.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
1,374 reviews
2. Re: Dalton to Niagra Falls or St Augustine?

much shorter drive to florida

atlanta
Level Contributor
585 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: Dalton to Niagra Falls or St Augustine?

It will take forever to get to Niagara falls by car. If you go, you should defiantly fly to Buffalo. That being said, I would go to St Augustine b/c it will be closer. While there is not much to do in Niagara Falls other than see the falls, it is totally worth it. I went last December and it was absolutely amazing to see. I am so glad I was able to witness it at least once. The Canada side of the falls has nicer hotels, sites, etc.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
1,374 reviews
4. Re: Dalton to Niagra Falls or St Augustine?

visit the oakwod cafe whiel you are there for sure. i tis a do not miss cafe with good groceries, and marvelous maccoon pie.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
37 posts
1,357 reviews
5. Re: Dalton to Niagra Falls or St Augustine?

Thanks for all of your replies, I think St Augustine will be our choice. Does anyone have suggestions of where to visit or something special to do at St Augustine, or indeed is there anywhere better to visit

BBQman which location is Oakwood cafe? Any other views will be considered.

We have previously been to Charleston and Savvanagh including Fripp Island. What wonderful locations.

Thanks again................ Old Bear.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
1,374 reviews
6. Re: Dalton to Niagra Falls or St Augustine?

the oakwood cafe is in downtown dalton ga.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
1,374 reviews
7. Re: Dalton to Niagra Falls or St Augustine?

if you have nver eaten at the oakwood cafe you owe it to yourself to try it. it's legendary for it's fried chicken macarron pie and steak sandwiches. breakfast here is also a treat. say hello to bob johnston if you see him there.

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Dalton to Niagra Falls or St Augustine?

OldBear (does this mean you are 'grumpy'??- kidding,

of course!)

While in Dalton, eat at the Filling Station - lunch

only - 326 N. Hamilton St., downtown. It's an

all you can eat buffet, great food.

Also, near Dalton is the small town of Chatsworth.

Visit: the Chief Vann House (plantation home of

a Cherokee Indian chief)

Fort Mountain State Park - beautiful mountains,

great park - drive around or do some hikes, picnic;

Edna's Restaurant - 1300 Hwy. 4ll S. in Chatsworth

- Edna's is what we call in the South, "home-cooking". Here you can try southern dishes: yummy

fried chicken, ham, vegatables cooked the southern

way and Edna's all time favorite "peanut butter pie"-

to die for! Be sure and drink some sweet iced tea,

the champagne of the South!

Have a great trip!

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
9. Re: Dalton to Niagra Falls or St Augustine?

St. Augustine is about an 8 hour drive from Dalton. Niagra Falls is two very long day's drives. Try to put in the address of both in mapquest.com and see for yourself.

If you go to Saint Augustine be sure to eat at the Columbia House Restaurant. We go out of the way to go there. The 1905 salad is fantastic. It is a Spanish restaurant. www.columbiarestaurant.com/st_augustine.asp

I would like to throw this idea at you. If you are willing to drive so far, I'd suggest New Orleans and the French Quarter. You can also see some Florida beaches along the way if you travel the Gulf Coast.

10. Re: Dalton to Niagra Falls or St Augustine?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 11:19
Get answers to your questions about Dalton
More Dalton Topics