We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking near Dalton?

Gulf Breeze, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking near Dalton?

Out family of five (three kids ages four to seven) is going to north Georgia for apple picking and hiking. We're staying in Dalton. I see that there is good hiking in Cloudland Canyon and Amicalola State Parks, both an hour from the hotel. Is there anything closer?

7 replies to this topic
Ellijay, Georgia
Level Contributor
359 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking near Dalton?

A couple of suggestions would be The Cohutta Wilderness, 23 miles. 40,000 acre wilderness area, second largest in the US abounds with trails easily found on Google. Second option, Fort Mountain State Park, 21 miles.

Ellijay, Georgia
Level Contributor
359 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking near Dalton?

There is also the Disney Trail that goes up Rocky Face Mountain there at Dalton although it is one of the most challenging trail in Northwest Georgia. I have never done it although would love to just be able to walk across the street anymore. One cannot do what one once did. I am not an invalid by any means. I just have two store bought hips and two worn out knees. If I get them fixed, who knows, I may run up to the top of Rocky Face Mountain.

Edited: 26 September 2015, 09:34
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,645 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking near Dalton?

Cloudland Canyon is VERY nice hiking. It's worth the drive.

Also look at Chickamauga Battlefield.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,839 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking near Dalton?

I was going to mention Chickamauga Battlefield.

You can walk for miles. It's fairly level.

I used to bring my kids there when they were young. Lots of statues, etc... to explore. One thing I ?(and they liked) was to pick out a military unit and follow its movement over the 3 day battle.

There are plaques all over the park that show what units engaged on that spot. General's, time, # of men killed, wounded or missing, number of cannon or horses lost. And then the direction they moved after the engagement. We'd basically pick one and follow it's movements.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking near Dalton?

the disney trail is well maintained. fort mountain is not but 15 miles to the east. lots of nearby spots and the chickamauga battlefield is a great park to hike or bike. enjoy your trip

Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking near Dalton?

I have completed this hike with my 11, 8, and 5 year olds, but it depends on the activity level of the kids. It is a steep hike. I wouldn't suggest small children, unless they are avid hikers. Best of luck!

Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking near Dalton?

I have taken my children (ages 11, 8, and 5) hiking in different places around Dalton. We visit twice a year to see relatives and have been hiking for years. We have hiked Disney, Fort Mountain, and Mount Rachel, and walked Prater's Mill and New Echota. Chickamauga Battlefield is an informative a large place to visit. My kids love walking through Rock City. All of these are within a quick drive.

Reply to: Hiking near Dalton?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dalton
More Dalton Topics