We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bakeries in Ellijay or Blue Ridge

South Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bakeries in Ellijay or Blue Ridge

We will be in Ellijay for Thanksgiving. We will be getting our dinner from Ingles, pies from Merciers, but my Mom wants a layer cake. Not crazy about supermarket cakes. Any suggestions as to a person that does home baking? Does Cantabury do orders? I found Pat-A-Cake but they never answer the phone. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Just read you may have your first frost of the season tonight. Stay warm. :-)

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bakeries in Ellijay or Blue Ridge

There are multiple bakeries/delis that should be open before thanksgiving in ATL (as you drive through). I am not familiar with what is available close to Ellijay, but I imagine it is sparse at best. Gabrielles in Marietta is run by Paula Deen's sister (take that for what it is worth, but I have purchased many things there and have been pleased).

South Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bakeries in Ellijay or Blue Ridge

Thanks for your reply, I was actually thinking about that. We arrive on 11/22 but have to to the airport to get my Mom on 11/26 so could find a baker at that time. I'm still wondering about Cantaberry though - their cakes are awesome.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bakeries in Ellijay or Blue Ridge

Sorry, never tried Cantaberry, but if they have been in business for several years it is probably a safe bet. It is so sad that we lost the Rich's Downtown store that had the best holiday cakes in the southeast. If I were you, I would go to Canteberry's and try a slice of cake, a muffin, cookie, or something small and inexpensive when you arrive there. If not up to your standards, you will pass multiple bakeries on your way to the airport and back.

A little on the riskier side: In every small town in GA, there is usually a Grandma that is well known for making home-made cakes during the holidays. You can search for "cakes" on craigslist or other local sites to see if there is someone who will make you a truly home-made cake.

Ellijay, GA
Level Contributor
476 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bakeries in Ellijay or Blue Ridge

Cantaburys is amazing. They have an apple cake that gets rave reviews. I wonder if the woman who does desserts at charlies does work on the side. I can't begin to tell you how wonderful her apple bread pudding is. If you want to go up to blue ridge, there is the sweet shop. They won the cupcake wars and their cupcakes are to die for. While you're here, don't miss the blue ridge olive oil company with stores in both blue ridge and ellijay, it is a not to be missed store for a foodie.

South Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bakeries in Ellijay or Blue Ridge

Thanks for the suggestions, Cabin Queen. I actually watched the episode where Sweet Shop won. I was really thrilled for them. Love their cupcakes and love the Olive Oil Company too. Looking forward to trying the newest restaurant, Black Sheep. Their menu sounds great. I called Cantaberry and I think that's the route we're going to go. thanks for you suggestions, you are always so helpful. :-)

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,760 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bakeries in Ellijay or Blue Ridge

If you are going through Atlanta, you could pick one up at Rhodes bakery on Cheshire Bridge. All of their cakes are great but their caramel cake is divine

http://www.rhodesfamilybakery.com/hours.html

Ellijay, GA
Level Contributor
476 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bakeries in Ellijay or Blue Ridge

Thank you cockatoo mom, that means so much to me! When you are at Canterbury, get their tomato basil soup, it is great. And we now have a blue ridge olive oil company in ellijay. Who hoo!

Ellijay, GA
Level Contributor
476 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bakeries in Ellijay or Blue Ridge

Cockapoo mom,

DEFINATELY go to The Black Sheep. We were there last night and had a great, great, GREAT meal. Also, there is Ice Skating in Blue Ridge this year, what fun!

Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bakeries in Ellijay or Blue Ridge

Don't know about their desserts (Canterbury) but recently ate there for the first time on our way to Murphy, NC. It was great. Even husband loved the tomato Basil soup! LOL We stopped by there again on our way back to Pensacola but they were not open yet on a Saturday morning. Will certainly stop by on our next visit.

Edited: 17 August 2014, 10:18
10. Re: Bakeries in Ellijay or Blue Ridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2017, 19:18
Get answers to your questions about Ellijay
More Ellijay Topics