We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

my wifes birthday,dec 10,1 week vacation,december

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Topic
my wifes birthday,dec 10,1 week vacation,december

my wife's birthday is in early december.would prefer a condo with ocean views or bungalow with same.no children.water activities,horse back riding.music,fine dining,dancing.all inclusive if possible

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
701 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: my wifes birthday,dec 10,1 week vacation,december

I'm wondering why you picked Jekyll Island for a December vacation. The weather and water will be cool. Not cold as yet but definitely not beach weather. You will need to go farther south to Florida for that. Other than that, Jekyll Island is an historic laid back island with golf and bike riding and beach walking that time of year.

Winston, GA
Level Contributor
12 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: my wifes birthday,dec 10,1 week vacation,december

I'm an off-season fan of the island myself. I like it when the crowds (such as they are) thin down, and you sit at the restaurants with the locals, watching old women take a dip in their cocktails. But even then, December's a little late in the season. I'm not sure how many of the things that you'd really enjoy will even be readily available. Certainly a lot of the passive stuff -- namely, the beach -- will be out of the question. I've been pretty late in the season before, and found that some things were still available, but at much longer intervals (tours, for instance). I won't be the guy who tells you not to go to Jekyll, but I will say that most of the reasons I love the place won't be available to you.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: my wifes birthday,dec 10,1 week vacation,december

I think The Jekyll Island Club is outstanding. Good luck on your trip and happy B/D to your wife.

Jekyll Island Club Hotel @ 371 Riverview Drive, GA 912 - 635 - 2600.

http://www.jekyllclub.com/

Muncie, Indiana
Level Contributor
4 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: my wifes birthday,dec 10,1 week vacation,december

The Jekyll Island Club is probably your best choice but you won't get an ocean view as the hotel is on the inland waterway side of the island. But it is more suited to suites, fine dining, and perhaps dancing. You can check out a lot just going to the island website, http://www.jekyllisland.com/

The hotel link above is also good.

Even though the hotel is not on the beach, from what you seem to want, it still might be your best choice. The staff is very attentive. There is a little deli shop on the mezzanine/veranda in the courtyard. If the weather is decent and the sun is out, do stop for lunch--the sandwiches are large enough to share and the pastries and desserts are downright sinful. Take your food out to the veranda and the wicker dining sets, relax and enjoy. The Crane house in the historic village has fine dining and might be part of the hotel complex. One of the first condos concepts ever is on Jekyll and surely part of the hotel, and was recently restored with rentals available. They looked appealing to me.

Be sure to visit the "bookstore" in the village, too. It is an old house full of a whole lot more than books--two stories and rooms full of all kinds of goodies to browse. I always find something there to take home, and never see all the stuff in that house. You can sit on the porch while she shops if it's not your thing to do. Pick up the book "Splendid Seclusion" and read about the history of the village full of homes of the very wealthy at the turn of the century.

The beach is a short drive up the road (the island isn't that big) and there are LOTS of great beach spots as the whole darned thing is open to the public with lots of access up and down the roads and plenty of free parking.

Hope you and your lucky wife enjoy a memorable birthday trip.

5. Re: my wifes birthday,dec 10,1 week vacation,december

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Jekyll Island