We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Vaca with 2 year old

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
69 reviews
Best Vaca with 2 year old

My husband and I will be attending his cousin's wedding in Atlanta in July 2012. Prior to that, we would like to take a beach vacation. Our son will be a little over 2 years old when we go.

We are debating between Jekyll Island, and Charleston (maybe even Myrtle Beach). Which one would you recommend? Any places we should stay? Our son absolutely LOVES the water.

Thanks.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Best Vaca with 2 year old

You are making the mistake all new parents do. The 2 year old will not remember the vacation 10 years from now, you will. Your life will be all about the kids for the next 16-20 years, make your vacations about you and your husband for now

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: Best Vaca with 2 year old

I do realize that he will not remember it. It would be wonderful to have a nice vacation with just the two of us. However, that is not possible. So, we are looking for a place that is low key where we won't be so "stressed" as we travel with our little one.

Thanks for the advice though.

Edited: 17 November 2011, 10:37
Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: Best Vaca with 2 year old

If you want the low stress and water, I would recommend the Days Inn on Jekyll Island which is on an amazingly wonderful strip of beach. Typical Days Inn, nothing special but they did do a great, large free breakfast in a pretty room overlooking the beach. The whole island is very low key. I would not recommend Charleston as the beach access is very poor so you'd be staying in the historic area which is for grownups.

Another option is Tybee Island which is on the water outside of Savannah. We stay there often and its very low key, with a great beach like Jekyll Island has. Both these islands would allow you to get around with a stroller. I'm not sure if you'd like the motel options there, maybe a B&B although those are for grownups. Maybe a cottage rental if you are able to stay for a few days?

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
69 reviews
4. Re: Best Vaca with 2 year old

Thanks Karrieb. I was actually considering Tybee Island, as both of my parents were born and raised in Savannah. But for some reason my dad mentioned Jekyll Island or Charleston. Anyways, I will look into your recommendations.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Best Vaca with 2 year old

I think you might find things to enjoy with a 2-year old who loves water on Jekyll Island. We recently stayed at the Hampton Inn and liked it a lot. It has a great pool and as a new hotel is safe and in great condition. Excellent breakfast, nice amenities. It's set back from the ocean, but the wooden walkway to the beach is short and scenic to walk because it's set into the trees and vegetation. There is a water park on Jekyll Island not far from the Inn that might be fun for a child. The island has a few kid-friendly restaurants that also have good food for adults. Because of its size, everything is just a short drive away, so no long drives to get anywhere. I would definitely characterize the island as low-key, but we did visit in late fall, so it might be a bit different in July. Good luck in your choice of vacation places!

Gainesville, Georgia
9 posts
1 review
6. Re: Best Vaca with 2 year old

I'd go with Jekyll Island. It's a perfect low-key family vacation destination, with several great restaurants, 10 miles of uncrowded beach, 20 + miles of bike trails (you can rent bikes on the island, and accessories like kid seats and covered pull-alongs), and wonderful venues that a 2 year old might enjoy, like the Georgia Sea Turtle Center, Tidelands Nature Center and Summer Waves Water Park (which has sections for young kids). And with only 35% of the island allowed to be developed, there are many chances to see the islands famed wildlife and bird life. Also, home or cottage rentals may be within the budget of a young family, so you wouldn't necessarily have to stay in a hotel. But if you want a good hotel on the beach, the Oceanside Inn & Suites or the Days Inn and Suites are good, budget bets.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
97 posts
67 reviews
7. Re: Best Vaca with 2 year old

Jekyll will be much more relaxing than your other ideas. And a bit warmer than the others, as it is further south.

The Days inn is nice for a Days Inn --- the Hampton is nicer. Both have heated pools and a Jacuzzi, which might help if the weather turns out to be cool.

Tybee is an interesting place too, as is St Simons Island. Tybee is very laid back and some would say a bit on the shabby side... whereas St Simons is upscale and has a good bit to do. Lots of good choices!

8. Re: Best Vaca with 2 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2012, 05:26
Get answers to your questions about Jekyll Island