We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For a family vacation - stay on Jekyll or St. Simons Island?

Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
64 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
For a family vacation - stay on Jekyll or St. Simons Island?

Starting to do some research on the area and was looking for suggestions on which Island to stay on. We are a family of 5 (kids aged 12, 8, and 2) and want to enjoy the beach, the pool, and going out to eat.

In some quick looking at places to stay it looks like Shipwatch on St. Simons and possibly The Villas By The Sea on Jekyll island would meet our price and amenities. Other suggestions?

Also, how far / long of a drive is it between St. Simons and Jekyll Islands? Of course by map it looks close but I didn't know how drive times could change with summer traffic.

I will also put this post on the St. Simons Island forum as well.

Thanks.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,552 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For a family vacation - stay on Jekyll or St. Simons Island?

We personally like Tybee Island near Savannah or Amelia Island, FL which is at the GA/FL border for the beach, activities and food. Jekyll has the better beach imo- St. Simons beach is very small but St. Simons has lots of restaurant options.

Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
64 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For a family vacation - stay on Jekyll or St. Simons Island?

PeachBelle -

We vacationed on Tybee Island last summer and had a great time, but were thinking of trying somewhere different this year.

In terms of crowds, is Jekyll or St. Simons more crowded, or are both beaches fairly laid back (like I found Tybee to be).

We also mentioned looking into Amelia Island. In particular what do you like better about it vs. St. Simons or Jekyll Island?

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,662 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For a family vacation - stay on Jekyll or St. Simons Island?

I like Jekyll better. It's more natural, less crowded, the beaches are better and is more relaxing IMO. St. Simons does have more restaurants.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,552 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For a family vacation - stay on Jekyll or St. Simons Island?

We like Amelia Island because it has nice wide beaches with white sand. It also has some nice hotels like the Residence Inn with a great pool. We also find lots of things to do from boat trips to the lighthouse to Fort Clinch SP to historic downtown Fernandina Beach. Also some good local fast food and seafood restaurants.

Jekyll Island...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: For a family vacation - stay on Jekyll or St. Simons Island?

JEKYLL ISLAND for sure!

We visit Amelia Island now and then (my uncle even owns a condo on Amelia but we find it so boring!).

St. Simons is a pretty place and VERY close--not much traffic between the two. St. Simons is more commercialized with more accomodations and restaurants and such.

This is why we love Jekyll sooo much better. Jekyll is a LOT more secluded because it is owned by the state and technically, "Jekyll Island State Park". It is protected by state law where only a portion can be developed. It was chosen by millionaires of the 1800's as a winter retreat where they created a laid-back luxury lifestyle. Those in charge have kept that same feel to the island--as if you are going back in time to a slow paced, luxurious retreat on a hidden island--BUT with a few of the amenities that we all love today.

I created a website about Jekyll because it IS so unique and I want to help families visit and enjoy it like us so feel free to jump over and if I can help you anymore--just contact me there!

blessings!

www.Jekyll-Island-Reviews.com

Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
64 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For a family vacation - stay on Jekyll or St. Simons Island?

Thanks for the comments. Just booked a place on St. Simons last night, but I'm sure we will spend time on Jekyll as well. I'll check out your website. Thanks.

Jekyll Island...
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: For a family vacation - stay on Jekyll or St. Simons Island?

Awww, sorry I saw your post just today!

You'll like St. Simons too but Jekyll is truly a very unique place and one that will make a GREAT day trip!

Have fun and God bless!

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
23 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For a family vacation - stay on Jekyll or St. Simons Island?

Prior posts are correct, Jekyll is quieter. Both have interesting history-the millionaire's village area of Jekyll and Fort Frederica on St. Simon's are examples. If eating out is a big part of your plans then Jekyll is going to disappoint. But the beaches are better-EXCEPT in the area around Villas By The Sea. At high tide, there is no beach in that area, and at low tide it's kind of gross. We spent a miserable few days with our kids at the Villas. The accommodations were OK, nothing special, but the beach area was terrible. Because of that, the pool area is heavily used and can be noisy-especially if your Villa overlooks it.

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
707 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: For a family vacation - stay on Jekyll or St. Simons Island?

Have a geat trip. Please make a trip report when you return. We all appreciate it.

10. Re: For a family vacation - stay on Jekyll or St. Simons Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 21:16
Get answers to your questions about Jekyll Island