We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking on Tybee

Georgia
Level Contributor
41 posts
88 reviews
Parking on Tybee

We'll be driving in for a day trip to Tybee Island soon and I was trying to figure out where is a good spot to park. We would like to enjoy the beach, be able to walk to places to eat, have restrooms close-ish, and maybe be able to walk around and explore a little. I have done some reading and know that we need to keep an eye on the meters to keep them fed.

Are there parking lots that you just pay as you leave? Or is everything metered?

22 replies to this topic
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,610 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Parking on Tybee

Metered.

Park near the pavilion/ pier.

savannah.com/beaches/parking-on-tybee-island/

This is a good explanation (link above)

Chattanooga, TN
Level Contributor
6 posts
48 reviews
2. Re: Parking on Tybee

Everything is metered. And driving around to find a credit card enabled meter will drive you crazy! Unless you take enough quarters to feed a meter for 2 hours at a time, a credit card machine (few and far between) is the only way (or so we thought the first day). We almost left the island the first time b/c they were all taken. And no store on the island will give you quarters. Here's the secret--> there is a credit card machine near 4th street (I think). It's the red light where there is a gas station on the right and a turn to the left. There is a machine that accepts credit cards and once you get your ticket, you can drive around and park anywhere. Just put that ticket in a VERY visible place or you will get a $35 ticket even if you paid.

Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
3. Re: Parking on Tybee

Parking on North end is easy and not metered. you can find the beach but not much else.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,199 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Parking on Tybee

I'm N, I don't think that's accurate. I believe there is metered parking in the big lot outside the North Beach Grille??

Tybee Island...
Level Contributor
215 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Parking on Tybee

In case anyone searches this post. We now have an app on the island to make paying for parking easier. North Beach parking area is pay to park also.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
151 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Parking on Tybee

ooooooooh, that's so exciting! Thanks, Aloha, that's good to know. We'll be back next month. Here's the link with details if anyone needs them: https://www.cityoftybee.org/CivicAlerts.aspx…

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,610 posts
95 reviews
7. Re: Parking on Tybee

What's the app?

Never mind. Just found it

https:/…

Park TYB

Edited: 06 July 2018, 17:53
Level Contributor
438 posts
38 reviews
8. Re: Parking on Tybee

Why do people complain about parking in Tybee Island don’t you have to pay to park anywhere.

Level Contributor
438 posts
38 reviews
9. Re: Parking on Tybee

We are from the northeast you pay to park anywhere. Lol

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
99 reviews
10. Re: Parking on Tybee

"Why do people complain about parking in Tybee Island don’t you have to pay to park anywhere." ?

Actually, no, we have not paid to park on the OBX,

and we have not paid to park in Litchfield/Pawleys Island,

and nobody has to pay to park in my community, not even on Main St.

I don't think there is one paid parking spot in our entire county.

Just one more reason why we love where we live. :)

But that being said, there is a quiet street on the south end of Tybee

(Chatham Ave access) that is metered but is a quieter, more out of the way place to park.

At least it was the day we visited.

It was a short walk to the pier and there were restaurants close by as well.

Reply to: Parking on Tybee
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island