We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo Advice

Franklin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
4 helpful votes
Condo Advice

Planning a family vacation to Tybee Island in Mid-October and need advice on which resort to select. Will be all adults and hope to walk beach and swim in the pool. Would you recommend Desoto or Beach Colony? Would also like advice on best seafood restaurants.

7 replies to this topic
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
21,167 posts
95 reviews
64 helpful votes
1. Re: Condo Advice

My favorite for seafood on the island is AJ's. Off the island, I love the location and vibe at the Wyld Dock Bar.

To choose between, I'd rely on recent reviews. My preference would be to stay someplace closer to the pier/ pavilion.

Augusta Georgia
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Condo Advice

If you choose Desoto, you are a long way from the Pier- downtown area. Beachside Colony is closer, but the pools are not huge, and there are a lot of families with kids in the summer, but maybe not the case when you are traveling. I would check with both to see if the pools are heated, or may not even be open in October, as the weather will be cooler. You should look into a house or cottage rental. Very affordable and you can choose from a huge selection. We have used Oceanfront Cottage Rental agency and Tybee Vacation Rentals for 20 years. Both have beautiful, clean rentals, many with pools that can be heated, and they are nice local people. Never had any problems with either. There are dozens of rental agencies listed on the web, but not all are as solid as the two I mentioned. My personal preference is South Beach area, but the whole island is lovely. As for food, we love AJ's Dockside, Fannies and Bernies. Enjoy your trip!

Edited: 18 August 2018, 12:53
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
21,167 posts
95 reviews
64 helpful votes
3. Re: Condo Advice

"You should look into a house or cottage rental."

I agree.

My dream cottage rental would be a Jane Coslick decorated cottage. I think Mermaid Cottages have them but maybe others too.

I COMPLETELY agree about being closer to the pier - and agree about eating seafood at AJ's!

Alpena, Michigan
Level Contributor
292 posts
198 reviews
74 helpful votes
4. Re: Condo Advice

Tybrisa Beach Resort is right at the pier. Secure (key access) timeshare/condo (no sales pitch at all) that does rent out units by the weekend or week. They are all 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom and each have a balcony that face the ocean. There is a heated pool as well as a small playland for the children. You can look at their website for pics etc. and check TripAdvisor for reviews. Very worthwhile!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
127 posts
67 reviews
43 helpful votes
5. Re: Condo Advice

The Desoto and Beachside have miniature pools... Not really usable for much more than a dip to cool off.

If that matters, you may want

To check out other options.

Franklin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Condo Advice

Thanks. Will check them out.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
127 posts
67 reviews
43 helpful votes
7. Re: Condo Advice

Of the 3 things you mention... walk on beach; pool; seafood --- 2 of 3 are just fine on Tybee.

I know of no really great pool though... most are very small... some in parking lots.. and

few heated. If a much nicer pool and deck area is of importance, I'd suggest looking at the King and Prince

in St' Simon's Island... or almost any hotel in Jekyll Island has a far larger pool, and most are heated too.

Those 2 islands are, like Tybee, not overly congested with traffic or mega- hotels!

Reply to: Condo Advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island
Recent Conversations