We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's weather like on Tybee Island in August?

Dublin, Ireland
4 posts
2 reviews
What's weather like on Tybee Island in August?

We're thinking of a short holiday in Tybee Island (5 nights) in August 2011 as we'll be in Atlanta for a weekend. We are 2 adults and a 14 year old. It looks lovely and I've sourced a rental house but everyone's telling me we're mad to go in August as it's too hot and humid? We're from Dublin Ireland so not used to this type of heat - will it be unbearable? We were planning on just chilling on the beach - is it too even on the beach?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: What's weather like on Tybee Island in August?

The coastal areas always have a good breeze near the ocean and it's not unbearable. If you are not used to the heat in the South in the summer it may be too hot for you but Tybee Island is a great place to visit and Savannah is only a few minutes away if you want to visit the HD for the sights and great dining. I would not hesitate visiting in August. Go to AJ's on the water for great food and dining outdoors. Good luck.

http://devivohosting1.com/ajsdocksidetybee/

Dublin, Ireland
4 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: What's weather like on Tybee Island in August?

Thank you so much for your response - you've helped us make up our minds and Tybee here we come!

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: What's weather like on Tybee Island in August?

The weather will be hot and humid in August. You should be able to get some good morning and afternoon sea breezes at the beach. By then the fire in south georgia should be out and the smoke and haze cleared out.

John

new jersey
Level Contributor
33 posts
4. Re: What's weather like on Tybee Island in August?

Average High & low temp for August on Tybee is 87(high) - 72(Low). As Axle stated, often there are sea breezes. You can leave the car parked during your stay & walk/ride bikes. I think you'll enjoy seeing Tybee.

1 post
5. Re: What's weather like on Tybee Island in August?

No, it is still hot, but July is typically THE hottest. Born and raised here :)

Tybee Island...
Level Contributor
28 posts
6. Re: What's weather like on Tybee Island in August?

HOT. But with ocean breeze. Not as hot as in Savannah in August

schenectady,ny
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: What's weather like on Tybee Island in August?

What about the tempature of the water how warm is that am from schenecatdy,ny and forget that,the water here is to dam cold to swim in.

Edited: 22 December 2011, 00:44
Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
51 reviews
8. Re: What's weather like on Tybee Island in August?

The trick to surviving here in the summer is not to fight the heat. The beach is much nicer than in town but still, it is sticky and hot. Just expect it, you are going to sweat all day long, it is good for you.

The water temp can be as warm as the mid 80's it is like bath water. Too cold is only an issue Nov-March, even then it is probably warmer than in NY due to the proximity of the gulf stream.

Tybee Island GA
Level Contributor
68 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: What's weather like on Tybee Island in August?

Hi, yes, it can be HOT inland in August but seriously I have been chilly - sitting on the beach in July under an umbrella. Tip: when it gets too hot, just go sit on the beach under an umbrella, feel the breeze and catch a wave. The water is always refreshing. (to me)

10. Re: What's weather like on Tybee Island in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2012, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island