We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this the place for us??

Nashville, Tennessee
1 post
Save Topic
Is this the place for us??

My husband and I are looking for a good place to go on vacation. We are both in our 20s, love the beach and the outdoors and are pretty laid back. We are also definitely on a budget. Golf and shopping are not for us. Tybee Island sounded like a good fit but I've been a bit wary to book because of the posts I've seen about the "redneck" reputation (although we are from Nashville so we can probably handle it), jellyfish, and dirty water (I know its the Atlantic, not the Gulf so it will be dirtier, but still...). We haven't been on vacation since our honeymoon 4 years ago so I want to make sure our money is well spent and our vacation is great!

Boston
Level Contributor
4,112 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this the place for us??

Yes, it sounds like Tybee is the place for all of us who meet your description. Do not be put off by the poster who made the redneck comments. We are die hard Yankees who count the months between trips to Savannah and pretty much always we stay on Tybee. If you envision Jimmy Buffet not Paris Hilton, you will love Tybee. The jellyfish are all along the coast, not just on Tybee and I learned on my last trip that most of them are not the stinging kind. We splash in the ocean and have yet to come out with any dirt or litter on us nor do we ever see any on the beautiful beach (except when the Orange Crush weekend happens in April). If you are on a very strict budget, the motels along Butler Ave may fit the bill for you, otherwise, you can rent a house or condo for starting around $120 a night depending on the time of year and size of the place etc. Do your food shopping at the Publix on Rt 80 before you actually get on Tybee to save more money on food. You will love it!

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this the place for us??

The water is brown because of the Savannah river dumping into the ocean at the north end. It is not pollution or chemicals, just silt and it is not muddy really, just not that clear blue people see in the Bahamas.

Come on down, give it a try, it may become a family tradition.

Poke around a little, we will be glad to help with specific questions once you decide on Tybee!

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this the place for us??

Tybee is a laid back beach. No golf course and not a bunch of stores. The water is brown form the silt and coastals rivers dumping into it. It is not dirty just brown. Rednecks yes but they are everywhere as Jeff Foxworthy says. It is not like a few people claimm about Tybee being the redneck capital. you will enjoy the beach. Take a dolphin cruise and go kayaking and enjoy the outdoors.

Alpena, Michigan
Level Contributor
286 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this the place for us??

Yep...Tybee is the place for this Yankee also. We've been going for at least 1 week every summer now for 12 years and love it. The day we get back home from our vacation on Tybee, we start planning and cannot wait for the next years trip...which is coming up in about 7 weeks.

Give it a try and look forward to relaxing and enjoying some sun

1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this the place for us??

I went to tybee island on June 20th, it was the first time going to the beach ever and I didn't see any jellyfish at all, nor did i see anyone get stung by one. I didnt see much trash. The water want the clearest but it didn't bother me. There are bathrooms to change in. Redneck never came to my mind at all, most people were very nice. Also Savannah is an amazing city, I loved it. Overall I thought it was a really nice beach for my first!

Alpena, Michigan
Level Contributor
286 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this the place for us??

From one visitor to another, thank you for a great post about Tybee

Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
112 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this the place for us??

I think you will enjoy Tybee. I made my first trip to the area with my family last summer and we had a great time. (Would go back but wanted to try somewhere different so going down the coast to St. Simons.)

If you like the outdoors I suggest a trip with Georgia Sea Kayak. I took a 1/2 day tour last summer and had a great time and learned a lot. Recommend taking a morning cruise to attempt to beat some of the heat. An evening dolphin cruise is also a good time.

If you can balance cloudier water (from the Savannah River), less expensive condo rentals, and smaller crowds stay towards the north beach. If you like clearer water, more waves & larger crowds (but still not that crowded) stay near the south beach.

As for jellyfish, we saw some washed up on the beach, but never had an issue in the water. I also think we were told they were not the type that stings.

Have fun.

Atlanta, Georgia
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this the place for us??

The 2 or maybe 3 times I've been there, I've been disappointed. Savannah is a wonderful city. But I've been very unimpressed with Tybee Island. In regards to the beach itself, there's very little wave action, the sand is pretty dark and the water is gray. I find the town itself pretty humdrum. Aside from the Crab Shack which is a great, fun experience, I wasn't that thrilled with any of the other local restaurants.

If I were traveling from out of state, I'd check out Destin or even Santa Rosa Beach Florida. It's not much further and the beaches are far superior. I live and travel from Atanta, the extra hour I drive to get to the gulf coast is well worth the white sandy beaches and turquoise water. And the hotel accommodations and restaurants are comparable if not better in price to what you'll find on Tybee Island.

Atlanta, Georgia
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this the place for us??

The 2 or maybe 3 times I've been there, I've been disappointed. Savannah is a wonderful city. But I've been very unimpressed with Tybee Island. In regards to the beach itself, there's very little wave action, the sand is pretty dark and the water is gray. I find the town itself pretty humdrum. Aside from the Crab Shack which is a great, fun experience, I wasn't that thrilled with any of the other local restaurants.

If I were traveling from out of state, I'd check out Destin or even Santa Rosa Beach Florida. It's not much further and the beaches are far superior. I live and travel from Atanta, the extra hour I drive to get to the gulf coast is well worth the white sandy beaches and turquoise water. And the hotel accommodations and restaurants are comparable if not better in price to what you'll find on Tybee Island.

Boston
Level Contributor
4,112 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this the place for us??

Well, I guess we all have opinions. Frankly, I don't see anything good about the Crab Shack at all- its dumpy and the food is mediocre but I too can't WAIT every year to get back to Tybee. It's not a 4 star resort community but if you are a Jimmy Buffet kind of person, you will feel at home. I have gotten to know some of the locals on various trips and many are from New England so once we move there in about 5 years, we will NOT be in redneck-land for sure. We will enjoy our Breakfast Club coffee watching the people catch fish in the early mornings off the Pavilion and riding our bikes all over the place, and watching the dolphins jump in the water , etc etc. etc.

Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island