We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lewiston to Kamiah

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Lewiston to Kamiah

On 29th July we plan to travel from Hermiston to Kamiah. We intend to visit Palouse Falls and would like advice on what we should stop and see between Palouse Falls and Kamiah. Our particular interest is in natural and cultural features.

4 replies to this topic
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
25,197 posts
112 reviews
1. Re: Lewiston to Kamiah

There are lots of cultural things related to the Nez Perce/NiMiiPuu Tribe and the Lewis and Clark Exploration of the West along the US 12 corridor.

Lewiston is pretty low in elevation in comparison to it's surroundings. It is at the confluence of the Snake and Clearwater Rivers with the Snake coming up from the South and the Clearwater flowing out of the mountains to the east.

The Nez Perce National Historical Park Visitor Center is at Spalding which is about 10 miles east of Lewiston. When you get to the interchange where US 12 continues east and US 95 heads south, take the US 95 routing in the direction of Boise. The Visitor Center will be on your left about a mile after you cross the bridge. Retrace your route to take US12 east and head up the Clearwater River. Just before you get to Orofino you will come to the Lewis and Clark Canoe Camp on the left, so stop there and look at the small outdoor exhibits. All along this highway there are various stops with small roadside displays describing events either related to the NiMiiPuu or Lewis and Clark.

Natural features-wise, you will be traveling the river corridor that Lewis and Clark explored in 1804 trying to find a water route to the West. Most of the rock you will see is basalt and in some areas you may be able to notice columnar basalt formations.

The next day as you head up over US12, there are also some interesting stops. Not sure how far you need to get this day, but you will be traveling along the Clearwater River until you get to Kooskia (the next town above Kamiah), then you will follow the Wild and Scenic Selway and Lochsa Rivers as you continue east. This road is beautiful. There are some short hikes if you care to take them, one is the Devoto Cedar Grove, which is an old growth cedar stand. Very impressive.

(Just for a laugh) Idaho Pronunciation Guide:

Kamiah - Cam-ee-eye

Kooskia - Koos-key

Lochsa - lock-saw

Here are some links:

…usda.gov/Internet/…stelprdb5402869.pdf

visitidaho.org/scenic-byways/…

Pam

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Lewiston to Kamiah

Pam as usual that is excellent advice I hope the OP looks into it.

Collie

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
3. Re: Lewiston to Kamiah

Thank you for your information. We are overnighting in Kamiah and going through to Missoula the following day. Love the pronunciation guide. Always manage to make a fool of myself whenever we travel to North America.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
25,197 posts
112 reviews
4. Re: Lewiston to Kamiah

Well, if is any consolation I am sure I will do as poorly when I visit your neck of the woods. Most folks will find your accent charming!

Let us know if you have other questions.

Reply to: Lewiston to Kamiah
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lewiston