We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aussie in Lewiston

South Australia...
Level Contributor
519 posts
38 reviews
Aussie in Lewiston

Hi Idaho posters, we are an Aussie couple young late 60's, roadtripping (again) and will be heading to Lewiston from Hood River mid July 2017. Our trip is over 8 weeks so just looking to get this area organised.

Our plan here is to drive to Missoula via Lolo then to the Glacier NP. Just your thoughts on the road and if there any stops on the way we should consider. It would appear that Kooskia is the last opportunity for fuel.

We cant find too much about Lewiston and wonder if we should be having two nights here.

Our interests are pretty broad and dont mind short hikes, byways instead of highways where we seem to find fascinating scenery.

Appreciate your comments on this track over to Lolo. Thanks

10 replies to this topic
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
25,179 posts
112 reviews
1. Re: Aussie in Lewiston

I would fuel in Lewiston before you leave as it will be a few cents per gallon cheaper than Kooskia. And you are right, not much past there but beauty!!

Do be sure to stop at the Visitor Center at the top of Lolo Pass before you cross in to Montana. There is a short nature trail and some interesting info on Lewis and Clark, the explorers who came thru in 1804.

If you want to take a jet boat trip up the Snake River the Lewiston Clarkston Valley is perfect for that. There are a number of outfitters that offer half and whole day trips. The whole day trips get you up in to Hell's Canyon.

There is the very nice Nez Perce National Historical Park east of Lewiston at Spalding. This gives some history on the Nez Perce tribe and the War of 1877. This would take an hour and a half or so at most.

There are a number of short cultural stops you can make while heading up the Clearwater River to Lolo Pass. Among them are Canoe Camp which is just before Orofino, ID where the Lewis and Clark party made their dugout canoes with help from the Nez Perce and Heart of the Monster which is the site of the Nez Perce Creation story near Kamiah.

Lewiston is more of a working town than a tourist destination. The biggest employer is the paper mill, followed by the hospital which cares for folk in the whole region. There are 2 colleges in the area, one in Lewiston and one in Clarkston.

I suggest you stay at the Holiday Inn Express or by then the Hampton Inn will be open. They are on the Lewiston side. You could also consider the Quality Inn in Clarkston. If you have another hotel in mind message me for an opinion if you would like.

Unless you are going to do a jet boat trip, one night is enough. It is likely to be very hot in the valley in July. Temps around or above 100F would not be unusual.

I am happy to answer any questions about Lewiston. I live in the area and commuted to work there for years.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,179 posts
112 reviews
2. Re: Aussie in Lewiston

PS Got timed out on an edit. Just wanted to add you will lose an hour at the top of Lolo Pass where you change from Pacific to Mountain time.

It will also be too hot to hike in the valley this time if year but there are sone nice short hikes up past Kooskia you can do. Devoto Cedar Grove springs to mind. It's a short hike to old growth cedars and is well-marked from the highway.

South Australia...
Level Contributor
519 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: Aussie in Lewiston

Thank D0bby, just what we needed. Thats hot!! especially coming off a cruise from Alaska.

We chases the Hampton chain so hopefully they will be up and running. Looking forward to the drive.

I guess I should look to another forum to find out whats on the other side.

Much appreciated

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,179 posts
112 reviews
4. Re: Aussie in Lewiston

On the other side of what?

South Australia...
Level Contributor
519 posts
38 reviews
5. Re: Aussie in Lewiston

On the other side of the mountain.......LoLo, Missoula. :)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
23,100 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: Aussie in Lewiston

If you have time do check out a jet boat trip up Hell's Canyon from Clarkson, Wa, just across the river from Lewiston. Amazing for both history and geology. We used Beamer's and loved it. Just something to consider

South Australia...
Level Contributor
519 posts
38 reviews
7. Re: Aussie in Lewiston

thanks, have heard of Hells Canyon on the forums.

South Australia...
Level Contributor
519 posts
38 reviews
8. Re: Aussie in Lewiston

Just one more question if you are still there.....and perhaps we should post it in Montana.

Guessing the trip from Hood river should be 1st night Lewiston, 2nd night Missoula and then perhaps we should have 2 nights at Kallispell or close just to recoupe for Glacier NP.

Thoughts on that??

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,179 posts
112 reviews
9. Re: Aussie in Lewiston

Yes, that would work out well.

Hood River to Lewiston is a short day's drive. If you wanted to do the shortest way you would drive I84 to US 730 near Boardman OR, then follow that to US 12. Take 12 to WallaWalla (winery area) and then continue to follow that thru farming country in to Clarkston WA and across the bridge to Lewiston ID.

If you wanted to take a scenic route thru the Blue Mountains, follow I84 to LaGrande OR. Take State Route 83 to Enterprise OR, then take OR3/WA129 (number changes at the state line) to Anatone WA, down in to Asotin WA and on to where you meet up with US 12. This drive will take most of the day.

Lewiston to Missoula is about 4-4.5 hours with no stops so that day would allow you to stop as much as you wanted, do a short hike or 2 and still make it to Missoula in good time.

And, yes, laughing *we* are always here.

South Australia...
Level Contributor
519 posts
38 reviews
10. Re: Aussie in Lewiston

Cheers :)

Reply to: Aussie in Lewiston
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lewiston