We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay when driving through Chicago

Cali
Level Contributor
123 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay when driving through Chicago

Hi!

We are driving from VA to Glacier NP, and the fastest route is taking us up the 90, through Chicago. Due to times and distances, a night stop over in Chicago would be necessary. We know nothing about areas or neighbourhoods in the Chicago area, and was hoping someone could give us some advice on where would be a good spot to stay overnight? I suppose we could stop anywhere from Michigan City (?) onwards. We will be leaving and driving to Fargo, ND the following day.

Many thanks for any advice! Thank you!

18 replies to this topic
Elgin, Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Where to stay when driving through Chicago

Depending on your route, budget and time, keep in mind that areas like Schaumburg and even Rockford areas are usually better rates. Around Rosemont and Chicago you have really high taxes and prices especially for the O'hare airport.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Where to stay when driving through Chicago

I’ve driven from Chicago to Urbana va in one day. If you can make it to Naperville or Schaumburg I’d stay there. I live in the city but if I were in your position I’d take I 355, stay in one of those two places, and avoid traffic. That way you’ll have dinner options, be able to start early and be close to I 90. If you start early, you’ll avoid traffic and make it to SD easily

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,902 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Where to stay when driving through Chicago

Oh..a dog. You should have mentioned that in the first place - an important piece of information. Well, you know that will cut down on your lodging choices quite substantially. And it might depend on the size of the "pup" - and perhaps if you will have a cage for it, too.

The Hilton Garden Inn I mentioned above does allow service animals but no pets. And (I think) that the closest kennel boarding would be in Valparaiso - about 20 minutes to the south of Chesterton. So it definitely would take you a bit out of the way, if you are interested in that option.

What I would suggest for you is to go to one of the websites which are specifically designed for the purpose of travelers with pets wishing to find lodging. Although some chains might allow it throughout their locations, you really should confirm with the actual location's website too. Just in case.

If you decide to take your pup to any national and/or state parks, you'll need to read their websites about if and where they allow it (i.e., only limited areas - normally not beaches where there is swimming, for example, and staying on specific trails; definitely on a leash). You need to also read their comments about the necessary shots because, as you know, the park system is really to protect wildlife. There are a lot of animals that do carry diseases.

P.S. You should check into B&Bs also. For example, here is one that is near Michigan City and is pet-friendly too. tryonfarmguesthouse.com The Dunes would be about a 15-20 drive to the west. (Mount Baldy is just to the west of the Michigan City city limits, but it is closed to the public.) If and when you go between Michigan City and the Indiana Dunes, be sure to take U.S. #12 - which is a lovely scenic route. When you get to Beverly Shores, go north until you get to Lake Front Drive, which runs adjacent to the lakefront.

Edited: 04 March 2018, 09:04
Chicago
Level Contributor
8,114 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Where to stay when driving through Chicago

I agree with the advice to head to the Schaumburg area.

We once drove to Minnesota with a pup. In Wisconsin we located a Cousin's sub near a rest area and then picnicked at the rest area with the dog. Worked out well. My brother has, in the past, done the board thing for a few days once they reached their destination, though now the dog stays here. They always found nice places.

Elk Grove Village...
Level Contributor
248 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Where to stay when driving through Chicago

I live in the adjoining suburb to Schaumburg and may be partial. Last June we drove to Yellowstone and on the first night stayed in Jamestown, ND. We left early and it was a full day but very doable for this couple of late 50's folks on our own.Fargo was 1.5 hours closer to Schaumburg than Jamestown. Be sure and stop at the tourist info center in Fargo, they have at least 1 cool item from the movie Fargo and have a neat list of sights on the I-94 route west from there.

Cali
Level Contributor
123 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Where to stay when driving through Chicago

Thanks everyone! We have found travelling with a small dog to not be too much of an issue as long as you pre-plan your lodgings. Very grateful for all the input!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,847 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Where to stay when driving through Chicago

Visiting national parks with a dog is going to limit your activity considerably. If you haven't done so yet, please look at the national parks website for Glacier N.P to read up on the rules.

https:/…pets.htm

Cali
Level Contributor
123 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Where to stay when driving through Chicago

Thanks CultureVulture! We have already arranged for local dog boarding when we visit the NP's. He gets to play and we get to visit both Glacier NP and Yellowstone NP without worrying about him. Luckily there are some quality facilities - I guess as traveling with our pups become more common these things become a necessity! He is an older pug and we didn't want to put him on a plane, so we are thankful to be able to take him on this move in the car. It has added a bit of driving time and also more careful choice of other lodgings, but we think it is worth it :) We just came back from Europe where well-behaved dogs are everywhere - cafe's, restaurants, supermarkets! I don't think the US will ever get to that point, but its great that a cross country trip is do-able with some forethought, (esp. as a family that move a lot!!)

Edited: 16 April 2018, 09:24
Reply to: Where to stay when driving through Chicago
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted