We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary June 17-21st

Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary June 17-21st

Sunday-

7:00 AM-Arrive

9:00-10:00 Am Check-In to Hotel

11-Head to Wrigley for Field Tour

1-Head to Goose Island Brewery

3-Head To Millennium Park

4-Piddle around

5-7-Eat at Gino’s East

8-9:30- Go to Signature Room in Hancock Building

10-11 Maproom Pub

11:30 Go back to Hotel

Monday

7:30 Am Go Find Food Truck orCoffee Shop for Breakfast

8:00-11:00 Arch Boat Tour

12:00 Food Truck or Street Food

1-2 Lagunitas Brewery

3-6 Navy Pier

7 or 8 Gibson’s or Other Nice Resturant

9-11 Bar Hopping

11:30 Back to Hotel

Tuesday

8:00 Coffee or Breakfast

9-11 Zoo

7:30 Hamilton

Wednesday

8:00am Coffee Shop Breakfast

10:00 Head to Wigleyville

11-12 Bar Hop or Find a Quick Lunch

12:00 Head Into Wrigley

4:00 Go to The Cubby Bear for Celebratory Drinks after a Cubs Win

6:00 Head Back Downtown

Thursday

8:00 Coffee or other Option for Breakfast

9:00-10 ?

12:00 Checkout of Hotel

12:30 Find a quick Lunch Spot

2:00 Head for Airport

7:30 Home

I need Suggestions for Tuesday especially but any others would work too

Mentioned in this post
Wrigley Hostel
Wrigley Hostel
182 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Millennium Park
Millennium Park
21,087 Reviews
Chicago, IL
The Signature Room at the 95th
The Signature Room at...
2,993 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Navy Pier
Navy Pier
12,504 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Hamilton
Hamilton
Ontario, Canada
13 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
54,528 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary June 17-21st

Tuesday - rent a bike and ride along the lakefront. The Notaebart Nature Museum and Chicago History Museum are near the zoo.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago History Museum
Chicago History Museum
977 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary June 17-21st

Visit the Zoo later in the day; buildings don't open until 10am.

Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary June 17-21st

I’ve thought about Renting a Bike, That Looks Fun, Are There Usually Food Trucks or Food Stands Along the Lake? I’ll also Check out the Museums You Listed

Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary June 17-21st

Ok, I take that in Note, Was Just Worried About Not Getting Back Downtown in Time to Eat an Early Dinner and Get to Hamilton in Time

Mentioned in this post
Hamilton
Hamilton
Ontario, Canada
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,293 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary June 17-21st

Chicago is not a big food truck street food city. We have some trucks but the city has always fought them. They’re legal now but highly regulated so there aren’t many. If you google Chicago food trucks there’s a few tracking sites to see where the open ones currently are.

Try a farmers market. Green city which is in Lincoln park slightly south of the zoo on Wednesday mornings is a good one. They have a lot of food stands.

Along the lake most of the beaches have beach houses with some type of food so it’s not hard to find something to eat while riding along the lake.

Edited: 03 March 2018, 08:54
Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Lincoln Park
Lincoln Park
724 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
54,528 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary June 17-21st

https:/…

Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary June 17-21st

Ok Thanks For The Reply, Sounds Good, Food Stands are basically Food Trucks without the Truck anyway. I don’t see the Difference but evidently the City does!

Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary June 17-21st

I’m From Oklahoma City and we have Food Trucks everywhere, so I just figured a Bigger City like Chicago would have a lot too

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary June 17-21st

Green Cuty Sounds Fun But Ttat Wednesday I’m going to Cubs Day Game so won’t get to experience it

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,648 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary June 17-21st

The difference on food stands is what they are required by the City of Chicago in order to operate (i.e., insurance).

So I can see where you are going with the food situation...Not much money, right - except one or two splurges (which BTW will set you back substantially, like $100+)? Well, even the cheapest places will be more expensive than what you are used to in OK City - if for no other reason, the taxes on certain items. There aren't many coffee shops around, as you may consider them.

Fast food places abound though. Maybe you'd be interested in one such as the Corner Bakery location just to the west of the Michigan/Wacker intersection - very close to the CAF Architecture River Cruise boarding area, if that is the one you mean (and the one we recommend). Corner Bakeries started in Chicago but were sold to another out-of-state corporation many years ago. It's a step up from McD's and the like, and you will be spending $12-15+ for an entrée breakfast. Places such as Wildberry Pancakes and Yolk - budget even more.

To the south of that intersection a few blocks is the Pittsfield Café and Toni Patisserie. Also, Heaven on Seven (Cajun/Creole) is located on the 7th floor of 111 N. Wabash.

I can give you a few other options which are inexpensive for Chicago, but you'll still be some spending money on them. For example, the whole idea about the Wrigley Field area is to make it more upscale than it used to be. That's not to say that you still won't find inexpensive places. If you'd like to try this vegetarian spot: The Chicago Diner is on N. Halsted in Boystown (area adjacent to Wrigleyville). Guthrie's Tavern (to the west of Wrigley on Addison a couple of blocks) does have a small bar menu - but they allow you to order from something like 40+ local spots and have the food delivered there. And 5.5 blocks to the west of Wrigley Field is the Southport Corridor. Just south of Addison on Southport is Southport Grocery & Café. You don't have to take the Red Line back, but can catch the Brown Line on Southport. But, of course, it depends on where you are staying downtown.

If you wanted some good crab legs, take the either the Brown Line to Diversey or the Red Line to Belmont or Fullerton and walk to The Half Shell (a dive bar). Cash only - but, as I say, the crab legs are good.

Right off the Magnificent Mile, on N. Rush - not far from the fka John Hancock Building - is Pippin's Tavern. You can order food from Downtown Dogs, right next door.

Near the Zoo, on N. Clark Street is Vienna Café for breakfast or lunch. However...right in back of the historic Café Brauer is a lovely little patio area which serves grilled foods, sandwiches and even craft beers: www.lpzoo.org/dining/patio-cafe-brauer Look at the background in this picture on the home page - you can see what a scenic spot this is.

If you wanted something more upscale in this area: At Fullerton and the lakefront is the Theatre on the Lake, newly remodeled/renovated. (Fullerton is the major street just to the north of the Zoo and Conservatory.) Here is the dining/bar at that location: theateronthelake.com/restaurant

I too recommend that you consider biking, if the weather allows it, but take this into account: On that Tuesday when you go to the Zoo. The Zoo is immediately to the west of the North Avenue Beach. There is a bike rental place right at North Avenue Beach. Then take that bike and bike to the north, not south. You are heading up the Lakefront Trail towards Montrose Harbor/Point/Beach. Along the way, you will pass Belmont Harbor and Recreation Drive. At Addison is where the city's Totem Pole is located. Next to the north is the Waveland Clock Tower (note this dining choice there - food is only so-so but you are going for the convenience and ambiance: www.clocktowercafechicago.com). This is just where the Sydney R. Marovitz Golf Course is located along the lakefront.

Then finally Montrose Beach: chicagoparkdistrict.com/parks-facilities/mon… But that photo really doesn't do it justice. Take a look at the pic on the home page of The Dock at Montrose Beach to see a sampling.

You should note that Goose Island is now owned by Anheuser-Busch - so if you were interested in only craft beer, you need to be looking at what their real choices are which meet that criteria.

Edited: 04 March 2018, 10:51
Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Wildberry Pancakes and Cafe
Wildberry Pancakes and...
3,907 Reviews
Chicago, IL