We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Girl Doll Store Visit

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
IL
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
American Girl Doll Store Visit

My best friend and I are taking our girls to the American Girl Doll store next week. Is there anything else to do within walking distance from the store that would be fun for a 6 and an 8 year old? Is there a Garrett's popcorn close by? Thanks in advance!!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
42,992 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Girl Doll Store Visit

Garretts is at 625 n Michigan ave

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
12,564 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Girl Doll Store Visit

Not sure it will matter as you will likely have no money left after leaving American Girl Place and the kids will want to immediately go home or to the hotel to play with their purchases. :-)

However, if everyone has energy left afterwards, the Hancock Building is right next door to Water Tower, where American Girl Place is located, although I'm not sure how thrilling that is for a 6 year old. Navy Pier is not that far, but probably a little too far for a 6 year old to walk.

IL
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: American Girl Doll Store Visit

Does anyone know if there is free parking anywhere near the Anerican Girl store?

chicago
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Girl Doll Store Visit

That does not exist

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,152 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American Girl Doll Store Visit

it's hard to find parking over there that you pay for!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American Girl Doll Store Visit

Hershey Experience and Ghirardelli chocolate stores are nearby at 800ish N Michigan. Also check out the Lego store in Water Tower Place.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
14,490 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American Girl Doll Store Visit

Free parking in downtown Chicago. That's funny! Thank you for starting my day with a laugh. Plan on $38 for the shopping day.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,042 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American Girl Doll Store Visit

You should be able to park for about $20; it depends on how long you stay and how many blocks you are willing to walk to Water Tower Place. Use www.spothero.com I think it's easier to get in and out if you stay west of Michigan Avenue.

Edited: 14 February 2013, 10:41
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
14,490 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American Girl Doll Store Visit

You're right pgo but the OP also has to pay attention to the hours advertised by the parking garage/lot. i.e. You can park at 118 E. Erie for 7 hours for as low as $15.00 - from 6:00PM to 2:00AM Or arrive before 7: AM (advertised as discount parking 7:00am - 6:00pm) and get an "early bird" rate. That rate is designed for workers not shoppers. When shoppers arrive at 10:00 there is no discount "early bird". The rates advertised on many parking sites may not pertain to shopping hours and not even overnight. spothero.com is a great site to find parking (see the parking sticky in Top Questions) but read the fine print.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
22,053 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: American Girl Doll Store Visit

even museum parking well outside the downtown shopping center is very pricey -- if one can avoid having a car in Chicago they are well ahead as public transport is inexpensive and effective -- parking is steep everywhere