We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring break 2014

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
newark ohio
Level Contributor
617 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Spring break 2014

My younger son will be traveling to Chicago for spring break with his high school marching band for 3 days last week of March. I am interested in planning to meet him with older son and husband for another four nights and I am looking for some suggestions to get me started planning. We enjoy off the beaten track tours, eating at local favorites not the touristy spots, museums, and outside activities. I assume the weather will be similar to Ohio weather late March..... Unpredictable. I am looking for moderate lodging with easy access to public transportation. I assume we will fly and not rent a car. I am surprised when I check Hotels.com how affordable the lodging is at that time! 250$ can get us some lovely hotels! Thanks in advance!

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,193 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring break 2014

My three best pieces of advice: 1) Stay downtown! 2) Be flexible with your plans vs. the weather. 3) Let the young men plan part of the vacation.

Michigan Avenue is the main bus transport line, and staying within walking distance will help during the unpleasant weather that is so typical of March. A bus is preferred over the train for easy access to the Field Museum/Shedd/Adler area (Bus #146) and the Museum of Science and Industry (Bus #10). Visit www.transitchicago.com for trip planning. A multi-day pass will save you money.

There is usually a lot of good theater and music playing in March. You can save some money on tickets via www.hottix.org.

Visit at least one of the neighborhoods, or Evanston, if Northwestern University is of interest. You'll save money on food and entertainment over downtown prices.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring break 2014

Have them do some research and planning at www.choosechicago.com

As the dates get closer - www.chicagoreader.com and www.chicagomag.com for current entertainment and dining information.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
726 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring break 2014

The Chicago Architecture Foundation has a lot of interesting tours as does Chicago Greeter. Check out the Bucktown/Wicker Park neighborhood. It is not touristy and has shops and restaurants. Look for hotels in The Mag Mile, River North or Streeterville.

http://chicagovisitor.net/

newark ohio
Level Contributor
617 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring break 2014

Yikes!i am afraid if I left thelanning to my husband and sons we would be staying in some rat infested, broke down hotel miles from anything! As they would wait to long to book a hotel and nothing would be available. I will most certainly be getting their input on. What they want to do but planning is my department.

I will get a travel book about Chicago and search the web but I my trip advisor help has always been spot on. I also do not like to let some of these great deals I see for hotels go! The boys are busy with school, sports, band ect so I have more time then they do.

I figured the weather would not typically be the greatest similar to Columbus Ohio but that is why it is called spring break. My husband and I have been to Chicago years ago and enjoyed a play, second city comedy club and some typical restraints but now I will look further into the city.

We usually like to do some kind of tour in a big city.....any thoughts. I see boat tours, not March friendly?

Also Foodie tours sounds fun. We did a cool walking tour with a small group in San Fransico' s Chinatown that was memorable. We went into places we normally would not venture.

Comedy clubs too racy for 14 and 17 year olds? I guess not much is considered racy after the VMA awards with Miley Cyrus!

I am unsure what museums the band will go to but we want to hit the Aquaruim and Planetarium. Hints?

Airport thoughts if we fly? Which one?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring break 2014

Both airports are about equal distance to downtown and are accessible via public transit. MDW is smaller than ORD. Price out fares to both and see what works best for you.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,193 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring break 2014

No one suggested you should turn over the planning to teenagers. Get them involved at the proper time and level - they may be very good at the transportation aspect, for instance.

Look into a pizza tour - seems like a natural. They may want to go to the Willis (Sears) Tower - you could easily pair this with the free, less well known Money Museum at the Fed Reserve Bank. There are no boat tours in March that I know of.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
261 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring break 2014

Evanston is actually a great choice since it's a college town. It's obviously much smaller than Chicago but also located on the lake front. There are tons of restaurants, activities and young people. It's an easy ride on the metra (Commuter line) which will take you from downtown Chicago to the northern suburbs in about 20 minutes.

You are spot on re: the weather. Expect anything.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,035 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring break 2014

I would disagree with Evanston. There is no reason to stay up there if you can afford to stay in the city. Is it worth a trip up to see Northwestern? Maybe. But to stay there instead of downtown IMO is a bad choice.

B.

newark ohio
Level Contributor
617 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spring break 2014

Yep Downtown is where we will stay. Unsure why I would want to be 20 minutes way via train when I could be with in walking distance or short ride to other areas. I guess since my sons are teenagers a college vibe might be nice but we can head to The Ohio state university campus in 40 minutes. My sons enjoy the change of a big city with everything that goes along with it versus small town Ohio. I think using public transportation, navigating with a map and discovering types of areas that we do to have near us is very enlighting.

Lakemoor, IL
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spring break 2014

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g35805-d15…

Check out the Chicago Film Tour for a unique tour of the city. Otherwise, the Haunted Chicago tour is different and fun.