We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geneva to Downtown Chicago

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
217 posts
41 reviews
Geneva to Downtown Chicago

Is it feasible to stay in Geneva for a few nights, then park at a long-term lot and take the train into downtown Chicago for a few nights. My 70+ years parents are considering doing this. They would drive to Geneva, but do not want to consider driving into the city. I've been checking on this for them. Any advice would be appreciated. It looks pretty simple to me, but I have no first-hand experience doing this. They have taken Amtrak into downtown and are familiar with catching cabs, etc. Thanks!

Iowa
Level Contributor
96 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Geneva to Downtown Chicago

I'm interested in a response to this as well. Where are the long term lots? Are they in most every suburb? Gurnee area?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: Geneva to Downtown Chicago

Yes it is possible. However the answer is sort of confusing.

If they were to park their car after 5:00pm on Friday and plan on spending the weekend in the city - they could park in any of the trainstation "permit only" spots, as weekends are not monitored by the police department and the lots are considered free for weekend travelers.

If they wanted to travel during the week - they would need to park their car, at the remote site on Route 31 & 3rd Street. This is an over-flow lot and costs $1.25 per day. Given that they would be gone for more than 1 day, they could leave their daily fee in an envelope and write their stall number on the envelope with the dates in which they will be gone. This can then be deposited in an larger "drop box" (not the small yellow daily box) at the front of the parking lot. I think that box may be a dark green color...not 100% sure on that one.

The lot is monitored by the local police and is usually pretty safe. I used to park therer when I commuted daily into the city. From there to the train station it is about a 1 1/2 block walk.

Any other questions - feel free to ask.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
217 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Geneva to Downtown Chicago

Thanks so much for the quick response! More than likely they will travel during the week. I don't think they would have a problem figuring out the parking in Geneva and a 1-1/2 block walk should be ok. Is getting back to Geneva from Chicago pretty easy. Would you recommend avoiding certain times in the day...I would assume avoiding rush hour/after work commuting times would be advisable. Is the station stop in downtown easy to figure out? Any tips/advice is appreciated!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
69 reviews
4. Re: Geneva to Downtown Chicago

Actually some of the best trains to catch are during the weekday rush hour time. There are several express trains that run and you avoid the every stop milk runs (haha). When they are downtown I would recommend that they take a taxi to the train station. This particular Metra line (Union Pacific West) arrives and departs from the Ogilvie Transportation Center - NOT Union Station (where Amtrak & other Metra lines run). Both stations are close to one another, but they need to specify Ogilvie.

Here is the link to this particular line:

http://metrarail.com/Sched/cnw_w/cnw_w.shtml

Yeah, the parking at Geneva is easy to figure out, once they drive by a few times and get their bearings.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
69 reviews
5. Re: Geneva to Downtown Chicago

Sorry, I forgot to mention, if they do catch a train during rush hour - plan on getting to the station at least 20 minutes early -this will ensure that they can find a seat easily. But during the afternoon the trains run pretty much every hour.

Also the depot at Geneva is usually only open in the morning. If they buy their tix on the train and the depot office is closed, they will not incurr the addl $1 fee. If they buy on the train and the depot is open then they obviously would pay $1 more. On the train they can only buy 1 way - However they can buy roundtrip in either Geneva or in Chicago.

Finding their train in Chicago should be pretty easy. The boards are sorted by time and by final destination - so in their case it would be Elburn, as that is now end of the line (it used to be Geneva).

Once they get off the train in Chicago, they can take the escalators down stairs and head out of the station onto Madison Street. Look for the taxi stand.

I think that covers almost everything but the restrooms (LOL).

Good Luck!

6. Re: Geneva to Downtown Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 15:18
Get answers to your questions about Geneva