We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foreign currency exchange

Schaumburg, Illinois
9 posts
Foreign currency exchange
Save

Where can I exchange British pound notes for dollars?

6 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
67,183 posts
65 reviews
144 helpful votes
1. Re: Foreign currency exchange
Save

https://www.travelex.com/sell-your-foreign-currency

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,595 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Foreign currency exchange
Save

If you're a Barclays or Bank of America customer, you can use your debit/ATM card to withdraw funds at the other's machines with no extra fees. https://locators.bankofamerica.com/international.html

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
8,358 posts
2 reviews
13 helpful votes
3. Re: Foreign currency exchange
Save

ATM is always your best bet. Bringing pounds and exchanging to USD at any store front in the airport or anywhere else ends up with lots of fees and or a terrible exchange rate.

B.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
33 reviews
6 helpful votes
4. Re: Foreign currency exchange
Save

The op can correct me, but I believe the OP has taken his UK trip and is trying to get rid of his GBP back here in the states, rather than obtain them. The atm here wont help at all.

Travelex is the easiest, but you may want to ask around if anyone is going over that wants money on hand prior to their arrival. Check the online exchange rate calculators for a fair price. I've done this a few times years ago and it works out well for everyone.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
20,916 posts
135 reviews
97 helpful votes
5. Re: Foreign currency exchange
Save

Check with your bank. It may take a few days for them to switch the currency back to US dollars but they should be able to do it for you. Otherwise, do as my mom does and spend it all before getting on your plane.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
8,358 posts
2 reviews
13 helpful votes
6. Re: Foreign currency exchange
Save

Good point. Might of misread... Obviously an ATM won't work. You could probably donate the money.

B.

Reply to: Foreign currency exchange
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hoffman Estates
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.