We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8th Grade Day Trip to Starved Rock State Park

chicago
13 posts
Save Topic
8th Grade Day Trip to Starved Rock State Park

Has anyone ever planned an 8th grade day trip to Starved Rock State Park? Or, if not, can you suggest some activities to do for a sample agenda? Thanks

7 replies to this topic
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8th Grade Day Trip to Starved Rock State Park

When are you going?

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8th Grade Day Trip to Starved Rock State Park

Are you sure you want to do this? I love Starved Rock, but I would be very hesitant to take other people's children there. I know how 13 and 14 year olds act when they are on a field trip, and there are some potential risks with all the steep drop offs. On a recent visit we saw a large group of little girls with their dads, and thought they might be a brownie troop; it did appear that each of the girls had an accompanying adult.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8th Grade Day Trip to Starved Rock State Park

Plan your visit when the interpretive center is open. I understand that it is often closed.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
150 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8th Grade Day Trip to Starved Rock State Park

I agree with the previous poster--plan for ample adult attendees who are sprinkled throughout the kids.

As for agenda, I'd suggest picking one of the easier trails and hiking it--with the above caveat.

I know that there are also stables/horse rentals in the area, if that's an interest of the group.

If going in the spring, canoeing the Fox is easy and scenic. Our favorite outfitter is Ayers in Wedron.

chicago
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 8th Grade Day Trip to Starved Rock State Park

I thought about doing the hike, backpack lunch in canyon and trolley through the Starved Rock State Park office, along with visiting the lodge and visitor's center. Do you think that would be controlled enough?

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8th Grade Day Trip to Starved Rock State Park

Contact the park at 815.667.4726.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
150 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8th Grade Day Trip to Starved Rock State Park

Sounds like a great day. The only part for which I'd want to be sure there was more than adequate adult supervision is the hike. Kids of that age might be prone to try to wander off the path and/or explore on their own and there have been several instances of that leading to severe injury or death.

Starved Rock State Park is a lovely place, but it can also be very dangerous if you don't stay on the marked trails/paths.

Reply to: 8th Grade Day Trip to Starved Rock State Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted