We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety of taking train into Chicago

Richmond, Kentucky
Level Contributor
62 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Safety of taking train into Chicago

My boyfriend and I will be staying in Hammond with his grandparents Oct 9th -13th. I was wondering about the safety of taking the train into Chicago. Will my vehicle be safe to leave? Also, how safe would it be for us to come back later at night, around 10 to midnight? I've heard different things from people about the traffic in Chicago, but I've also heard that coming back to the train station that late may not be safe. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Crown Point, Indiana
Level Contributor
581 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety of taking train into Chicago

Traffic going to downtown isn't bad if you're getting off at say Lake Shore Drive. If you're staying on to Ohio or there about you'll likely be stopped for a good 20min as they're doing construction. In that area it really doesn't matter what time of day you're going through, it's always congested. As far as safety and the train, I wouldn't hesitate, but I live here and know what to expect. The area isn't really that bad, and the parking lot is well lit. Just be smart about it and be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine. If it would make you feel better, you can always take Metra out of Homewood instead of the South Shore.

Indiana
Level Contributor
190 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety of taking train into Chicago

I know it isn't Hammond, but we took the South Shore line from Chesterton to a Cubs game. Felt safe and had a great time.

Richmond, Kentucky
Level Contributor
62 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety of taking train into Chicago

Thanks for the info! I wanted to take the train and thought we would be ok, but several people told me that if we were coming back later at night that we might not want to take the train. I'm not so much worried about my car as I am worried about personal safety if we were to come back at like 11 or 12 at night.

4. Re: Safety of taking train into Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2011, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about Hammond
Recent Conversations