We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay for woman traveling alone

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Central Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay for woman traveling alone

My husband will be having surgery at the Simon Cancer Center the end of March. I need to find a hotel in a safe area of town. Also, I'm trying to decide if I should stay close to the hospital without a car, or further away with a car. I'll be there a week and my husband will be out of it most of the time, so I'll have a lot of time on my own.

Suggestions?

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,268 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay for woman traveling alone

Off the top of my head I don't think there's anything particularly close, but I could be wrong and will try to check later when I'm not on my phone.

Absent something close (and you might give some guidance about what you consider walkable), I see two options. Either stay downtown, where the is lots of stuff walkable or if you desire to economize, find something (cheaper) further out and figure on driving.

I guess I'll close by asking you to provide some additional information. Some kind if budget (or whether you'd rather economize or not), what you consider to be "close" (walkable), and/or how interested you are in doing things beyond being there for your spouse.

hlo

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
819 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay for woman traveling alone

There are plenty of things to do downtown but the price (including parking) may be a factor. On the outskirts of the city you might check on I70 on the westside (Plainfield exit) or on the southsideon I65 (County Line Rd exit) for places. Either is about a 20 minute drive to The Simon Camcer Center and there are plenty of shopping/eating places. The cancer center does offer a reduced rate for long term parking foe an outdoor lot

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay for woman traveling alone

I think you will definitely want a car, no matter where you stay. The weather can be unpredictable here in the spring, and you won't want to walk if it's snowing or raining. (OK, snow may not be likely, but freezing rain is possible at the end of March.) Downtown would be the nicest place to stay, if it's in your budget. I work downtown, and often walk around at lunch time by myself. I have always felt completely safe.

I agree with Indyob that you might be able to find less expensive, but still safe, lodging near the airport. If you have a question about a specific hotel, you can post it on here, and we'll let you know our opinion of the area.

Here are some suggestions for activities that might fill your time:

The Indianapolis Museum of Art (IMA) is my favorite place to go in Indy. If the weather is nice, the IMA has lovely grounds with gardens and walking paths. It's also nice to walk along the canal downtown. The Indiana State Museum, Eitljorg (Native American) Museum, NCAA Museum, an IMAX theater, White River Gardens, and the Indianapolis Zoo are all along the canal. Most of the shopping downtown is in Circle Center Mall, but Massachusetts Ave has some unique shops. If you're a racing fan, visit the Motor Speedway - you can take a bus around the track.

If you have questions about specific types of activities, please let us know. I hope your husband's surgery goes well.

Indy
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
498 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay for woman traveling alone

If you're talking about the Simon Cancer Center at IU Hospital, that is located on the IUPUI Campus. There are two close hotels. The first one is the campus hotel which is directly across the street. There is even a skywalk over to IU Hospital (which is attached to the Simon portion). It is called University Place Hotel and Conference Center.

To the northwest of campus, less than one mile from the hospital, is Candlewood Suites Hotel. I know that in the past, they offered discounts if you needed long term stay accommodations. They offer a shuttle (they are part of the Holiday Inn parent company) downtown, but they might make a stop on or near campus.

Both hotels are within walking distance of food areas. The hospital has their own cafeteria, there is a food court on campus just across the street (Sub shop, Starbucks, a pizza place, Chick-fil-a, and some others). Riley Hospital, located right next to IU Hospital, has their own cafeteria as well, and they also have a McDonalds that in the past was open 21 hours a day. There are four pizza places, a Taco Bell, Hardees (a/k/a Carl Jrs.), Subway, a soup place, a Mexican place, and a Chinese place up along 10th Street. Likely a couple others I have forgotten.

Edited: 04 March 2012, 12:48
Indy
Level Contributor
146 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay for woman traveling alone

I agree that the University Place Hotel would be a very good option for the reasons that Ravekid mentions. There are also reasonable options downtown such as the Marriott Courtyard that is attached to the new JW Marriott complex. This would be a 5 minute cab ride to the Simon Cancer Center. I saw in another post on this forum that there is a major convention coming into town towards the end of March (3/29-4/1), so if that overlaps your dates, I would strongly encourage you to act quickly. If you want to stay outside of town, there are multiple hotels at Plainfield exit of I-70, about 15 minutes west of downtown - no effective mass transit so you would definitely need a car for that one.There is also some type of family lodging attached to Methodist Hospital (which is now part of the same health group as the IU hospitals including Simon) that appears to have free shuttle to the IU hospital where your husband will be staying or you can take the free IU Health monorail - here is a link to the hotel iuhealth.org/methodist/… It looks like the IU hospitals also offer a concierge service for people like yourself and appear to have options in all price ranges - here is their link. iuhealth.org/methodist/…

Good luck!

Central Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay for woman traveling alone

Thank you all so much for the input. I'm still in the process of deciding exactly where I'll be staying, but I'm leaning towards downtown.

Thanks again for your opinions!

Indiana
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay for woman traveling alone

Also, the IndyGo Red Line Circulator has a convenient stop that is directly in front of University Place and across the street from the main entrance of University Hospital (where the Simon Cancer Center is located). The Red Line has various stops all through the downtown Indianapolis area and on campus. Last I knew, each ride was $1.75. You can check out a map of the route at the IndyGo website.

Hope all goes well!

Indiana
Level Contributor
784 posts
406 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stay for woman traveling alone

http://www.universityplace.iupui.edu/

I agree with University Place. It is across the street from IU Hospital.

9. Re: Best place to stay for woman traveling alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2013, 05:18