We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climbing and lodging in Red River Canyon, Kentucky

St. Cloud, fl
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
Climbing and lodging in Red River Canyon, Kentucky

I'm looking for a family vacation that includes climbing experiences for our 20 year old son. Red River Canyon looks interesting, but we have never been to Kentucky. I would appreciate any information about a good place for climbing instruction, closest airport, and great lodging. Any suggestions are appreciated.

9 replies to this topic
Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
475 posts
1. Re: Climbing and lodging in Red River Canyon, Kentucky

Lexington is the closest airport to the Red River Gorge (it's about an hour drive). If you are interested in climbing, canoing, hiking and fishing, RRG has PLENTY of trails and places to climb (over 100 natural arches)! They also have a new zipline tour. For lodging, there are cabins, camp sites and Natural Bridge State Park is located there with hotel rooms.

For more information, go to: http://www.redrivergorge.com

St. Cloud, fl
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Climbing and lodging in Red River Canyon, Kentucky

Thank you for your recommendation. I contacted Red River Gorge Cabins rental and Red River Outdoors rental. Do you recommend one over the other? The cabins looks fine, but I don't see photos of where the cabins are situated and not sure which might be more scenic. Red River Outdoors was able to coordinate the climbing instruction, whereas the other gave me a contact number.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
475 posts
3. Re: Climbing and lodging in Red River Canyon, Kentucky

Honestly, I live in Lexington and have not been to either!

Lexington Ky
Level Contributor
403 posts
80 reviews
32 helpful votes
4. Re: Climbing and lodging in Red River Canyon, Kentucky

I've been to many different cabins in the Gorge. By far our favorites are the ones around Deer Lake. They are available through Scenic Cabin Rentals. There aren't any trailheads right by but they are within not a far driving distance. Up the hill from the cabins is an Inn (acutally where you start out from for the zipline-they will have trail maps of the area and some suggestions on ones to take). We've stayed in Lakeview Retreat and Wuthering Heights. Wuthering Heights has a great view but it's a really steep climb down to the lake. These cabins are within a few minutes of the zipline. Thye aren't fancy but are clean and in a great location. You'll be close to Torrent Falls http://torrentfalls.com/ This is a very unique climbing experience. Our son loves it.

Miguel's Pizza is almost legendary. Climbers camp out back and hang out there. Rockhouse Cafe is very close to the cabins and has very good food..

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
475 posts
5. Re: Climbing and lodging in Red River Canyon, Kentucky

I second Miguel's--it's a staple of the Gorge! People come from all over the world (seriously) to rock climb there.

St. Cloud, fl
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Climbing and lodging in Red River Canyon, Kentucky

We are returning from our short vacation from Red River Canyon. Thank you for the great advice. It was the experience we were all looking for. Our son enjoyed the climb, we all ziplined and then spent a day hiking. We ended the journey at Miguels, which I agree is a must stop. I don't think this will be our last trip to Kentuckty!

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
475 posts
7. Re: Climbing and lodging in Red River Canyon, Kentucky

Fantastic! I am so glad you had a great visit!

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
13 posts
53 reviews
45 helpful votes
8. Re: Climbing and lodging in Red River Canyon, Kentucky

Where did you stay?

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
13 posts
53 reviews
45 helpful votes
9. Re: Climbing and lodging in Red River Canyon, Kentucky

Where did you end up staying?

Reply to: Climbing and lodging in Red River Canyon, Kentucky
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Slade
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.