We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing and/or lobstering recommendations

Lancaster...
4 posts
Save Topic
Fishing and/or lobstering recommendations

My husband and I visited Boothbay Harbor as part of our 25th anniversary trip which included some time near Boston as well as Bar Harbor. We enjoyed Boothbay Harbor so much that we decided to go back again in the middle of August and spend our entire time there taking day trips here and there. He would like to go out on a fishing boat, and maybe even a lobster boat, while there. Can anyone recommend the best boat for him to take? We appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks so much!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing and/or lobstering recommendations

Do you mean a fishing charter? There are several in B'bay Harbor. Some offer half-day and full-day rates. It's pretty easy to walk around and compare the offerings. Here's some to check out:

…boothbayharbor.com/list/category/fishing

Lancaster...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing and/or lobstering recommendations

I did see a few charters in the Boothbay guidebook as well as online. I was just wondering if one is any better than another or if someone had a particularly good experience on one boat versus another. It seems like they are all around the same cost, so that doesn't appear to be an issue.

I appreciate your link to the website. I think it's one we already looked at, but I'm sure we'll be checking it out several more times before our trip. We're getting SO excited! :-)

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing and/or lobstering recommendations

Sorry - we haven't done any of the charters when we are there, as we have fishing opportunities near where we live. However, we have fished off the public pier near the Fisherman's Memorial across from the Catholic Church. If the fish are "in," this can be a fun way to spend some time. An added plus is the nearby Atlantic Edge lobster pound, our favorite place to buy lobster in Boothbay Harbor.

Lancaster...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing and/or lobstering recommendations

This is great! He actually mentioned just fishing off a pier yesterday, in addition to going out on a boat. So this is very timely information! Is there a place to rent fishing poles, etc., there or do you need to supply your own. Also, do you need to have a license? I know that different states have different laws, so we want to make sure we aren't doing anything we shouldn't. We stayed at The Pond House B&B last year, so I believe the pier is right down the road from there. If you have any other information to share, I'd appreciate it!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing and/or lobstering recommendations

Freshwater fishing requires a license. Thanks to the federal government, saltwater fishing now requires being registered (although many have not done so). Here's a good link to explain that:

https:/…faq.pl

Lancaster...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing and/or lobstering recommendations

My husband ended up going out on a deep sea boat on Sashimi. He had a wonderful time and is planning to take our daughter when we go back to Boothbay Harbor next summer. Thanks so much for your suggestions!

7. Re: Fishing and/or lobstering recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 16:15