We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale sightings?

Whitefield, New...
Level Contributor
155 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Whale sightings?

Heading to Boothbay for annual visit next week (9/10-17) and thinking about taking a whale watch - how are the sightings in early September? Thanks!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,936 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale sightings?

Sorry I can't answer about that specific time frame. However, we were just there last weekend and overheard people talking while having lunch at the Lobster Dock. They had apparently been out the day before and seen several whales (The discussion was listing the various kinds.)

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,936 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale sightings?

Maybe you could use this Groupon:

groupon.com/portland-me/…

Whitefield, New...
Level Contributor
155 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale sightings?

Funny - that's what prompted my interest! I've been on several whale watches on the Cape, one of which I don't think we'll ever surpass. They were breaching, mom and calf playing and just a remarkable trip. So if they're not running now in Boothbay area, it would be a bit of a bummer to just see one or two barely surface (which we've also experienced!).

Thanks for the tip though!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale sightings?

A little off topic, but I have always wanted to go whale watching, however I haven't done it because I am prone to seasickness. How much of an issue is this on a whale watching trip? I enjoy boats and the water but as soon as the boat starts to roll I get queasy. Dramamine helps but also puts me to sleep!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,936 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale sightings?

Sea sickness can be an issue when whale watching. My favorite motion sickness product is Sea Bands:

http://www.sea-band.com/

Other tips include staying outside and up top, eating crackers and/or ginger and drinking carbonated beverages.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale sightings?

Good suggestions. Just the thought of being seasick and stuck out on the water kind of scares me. Yuck, but I'd love to see whales.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,760 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale sightings?

I, too, have problems with motion sickness, but I also love whale watches. On days, with very calm seas, I've had no problems, but I have been sick other times--even when no one else on the boat was (rather embarrassing) :-(

I sometimes use meclizine, marketed as the less drowsy version of Dramamine. I'm not sure I've ever remembered to use it for a whale watch, but have used it when flying. Even though it doesn't make me as drowsy as regular Dramamine, I do feel a little drugged. Probably best to have someone else available to drive after the whale watch if you try it. I also find ginger, in any form, effective.

Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale sightings?

I was in Booth bay harbor during the labor day weekend and I took the Whale Watch trip with Booth bay Whale Watch. This was my first ever whale watching trip.

About Wildlife - We saw 1 Minke Whale, 1 Fin-back, couple of Porpoise & Seals.

They had to take us about 22Miles out to find a whale. Apparently hurricane Irene has messed up the sea and so whales are travelling far & wide for food.

You only see them for few seconds while they dive in for food. Also, they take about 10-15mts to resurface again for a few second look!

About Sea Sickness - I got sea sick. Water was very rough and there are lot of motion and water was thrashing against the boat & inside the boat. It did create sea sickness. There were couple of people like me who sat in the inner cabin quietly. Of course there were lot of them who were standing outside enjoying it including a 10-15month old baby enjoying the ride!

I guess as one of the previous posted mentioned, it all depends on the condition of the sea that day.

Note of Caution - If the sea is rough, you will get drenched in bottom level of boat, so be careful with your camera!

houston texas
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale sightings?

i was in boothbay harbor last august and took capn fishs whale watch, http://www.mainewhales.com and we saw several whales many great views within 10 feet of ship several times.maybe it was an out of the ordinary day,but we were very satisfied with this company.ride was smooth,staff friendly,and a great speaker on the whales/wildlife we saw.hope this helps

10. Re: Whale sightings?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2012, 00:19