We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boothbay Harbor trip

Buffalo, New York
3 posts
Save Topic
Boothbay Harbor trip

Looking forward to a trip to Boothbay Harbor this spring. I've been to Bar Harbor but never Boothbay. I'm staying at the http://www.harborhouse-me.com. Its supposedly great walking distance on the harbor. I'm looking for advice on things to do around the area, and trying to find good restaurants, fun pubs.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boothbay Harbor trip

I'm excited for you. The location really is right there, just a quick walk into the town center of Boothbay Harbor.

As far as things to do, most people will be quick to point out the various boat trips that you can take. For the large boat trips (whale watches and various tours of the area), I like Cap'n Fish's. There are smaller sailboat and other tours, or you can go out fishing for half a day on a small boat with an experienced fisherman. I think you should definitely do at least one boat trip during your stay (unless you hate water, in which case don't go to Boothbay). In land, are the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens. Don't miss this! They are one of the nicest professional gardens I've ever seen. Also, Ocean Point (up the coast a bit farther from Boothbay) is a wonderful scenic lookout with rocks to climb on and a gorgeous sunset. A lot of people really enjoy Romar Bowling Lanes, an old candle pin style bowling lane. I don't like it, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try it. :-) If you have kids, you may enjoy the small Maine State Aquarium is nearby. It really is small, but I enjoy it, and you can pet the little sharks and pick up starfish and horseshoe crabs. Finally, there are lots of cool places to browse and shop. Abacus Gallery is a favorite of mine; Enchantments is all magical/mystical stuff, and you don't want to miss it if you're at all into that.

There are lots of restaurants to choose from. I'd suggest wandering a bit and choosing what looks best. Don't forget to walk across the footbridge and check out the restaurants on the east side of the harbor. (Ports of Italy, the Lobster Dock, the Rocktide, and the Thistle Inn are all well loved.) The Thistle Inn is probably the one pub-style place that I know of. McSeagull's is more of a cool fun bar, with live music often, and seating out on the dock. I also love Mama D's Cafe, and everybody should eat at the Ebb Tide at least once (it's a local favorite, almost like a tiny old-fashioned diner).

I hope you enjoy your trip. Make sure to write a follow-up post when your trip is done!

- John

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boothbay Harbor trip

john_laury has given you a great list. I would add hitting Kaler's for happy hour (and make sure you try the hot crab dip). The bar is pretty small, but if it's a nice day, they let you take your drink onto their back deck.

We also like to drive the loop around Southport via the swing bridge. You can grab a bite at Robinson' Wharf and watch the boats travel through. Here's a link to other ideas for the area:

visitmaine.com/region/…

Boothbay Harbor...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boothbay Harbor trip

I love the suggestions from John and CB48. There is a new pub in town called Under Currach. It is on the corner across from the Opera House and is great! The chef prepares a different menu each day depending on what is fresh in the market! More good news is that the owners of McSeagull's and The Bistro are opening another wonderful spot called Mine Oyster. It will feature a raw bar and seafood restaurant. I have been peeking in through the winter and they are doing a fabulous job of rehabing the space. It is right on the water next to McSeagulls. Don't miss that one!

There is a wonderful season coming up at the Opera House. Visitors are known for skipping this venue but when they happen to drop in for a show they are always blown away! Check the website often and you can purchase tickets on line in expectation of your visit. You can find it at www.boothbayoperahouse.com.

I am a year-round resident of Boothbay Harbor and I love having visitors to our wonderful town. Come and enjoy your visit! Oh, and don't forget to get some popcorn at Coastal Popcorn and ice cream at the Ice Cream Factory. Both places make their own product.

Gaghee

Boothbay Harbor...
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Boothbay Harbor trip

Ask for a copy of the Boothbay Harbor Region Visitor's Guide from the Chamber of Commerce (http://www.boothbayharbor.com/), also available online here: http://digital.turn-page.com/issue/53359

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boothbay Harbor trip

Owen R, when you mention taking a spring trip when actually in spring are or did you plan for?

Boothbay Harbor is a very seasonal destination. Many of the restaurants, shops and lodging places close around Columbus Day and don't re-open until Memorial Day.

There are a handful of businesses which are open year round but some close Sun & Mon in the off season.

You'll want to check with the Chamber of Commerce or call and speak with your Innkeeper. http://boothbayharbor.com

Have fun! It is a beautiful area with amazing hidden gems to find.

6. Re: Boothbay Harbor trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2013, 05:17