We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brooklin, Blue Hill & DragonFlye Inn

Tucson, Arizona
1 post
Brooklin, Blue Hill & DragonFlye Inn
Save

My family and I will be visiting Brooklin and Blue Hill, Maine this Fall and I am looking for suggestions of things to do in the area. Last July my family and I stayed at the DragonFlye Inn on Naskeag Point for 5 days and we had such a wonderful time that we are returning for a visit this October. In July we rode bicycles provided by the DragonFlye Inn all over Naskeag Point. We toured the campus of the Wooden Boat School, which was fascinating. And, best of all, we spent a day with the Maine Environmental Research Institute on a boat cruise into Eggemoggin Reach and Jerrico Bay. This was the highlight of our trip - we saw seals and a dizzying array of seabirds and we walked around one of the islands in Eggemoggin Reach. It was great! In October we will be staying at the DragonFlye Inn, and we plan to see what the Brooklin area has to offer in the slow season. We plan to visit Acadia National Park and climb Cadillac Mountain. Does anyone have suggestions for additional activities in the area?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Brooklin, Blue Hill & DragonFlye Inn
Save

Brooklin is my favorite place in the world. We have gone every summer for the past 10 years and I went most of the summers of my childhood.

Hike up Blue Hill, the trail is on Mountain Road which runs between 15 and 172 just north of Blue Hill. It's a quick climb with beautiful views of Blue Hill Bay and all the islands.

Also, for hiking, take the mail boat out to Isle au Haut and hike some of the trails. You will need to drive to Stonington. Make sure you bring food and water since the store closes at 3:00 (at least in the summer). There isn't anything to do except hike but it is beautiful. You may see seals and porpoises on the way.

If you can go kayaking, do it. We have our own so I am not sure where to rent from.

Drive up to Schoodic Peninsula. There is hiking there, Schoodic Mountain and maybe some others. I have not hiked there yet but it is on my list. The peninsula is beautiful and the waves at the point are impressive.

Have you eaten at the Brooklin Inn? It's very nice with a nice relaxed atmosphere with good food. It also has a nice pub if you are looking something more casual. Dinner at Flye Point is also lovely.

Visit Nervous Nellie's Jams and Jellies over on Deer Isle on Sunshine Road. There is a little tea house and it's fun to walk around in the woods and look at the funky sculptures.

Castine is a nice town to check out.

I think on the weekends you can tour some of the gardens at Amen Farm, on the way to Naskeag Point. I don't know if that is only in the summer or not. The Barettes have passed away but I believe the gardens are still maintained. He was quite a gardener, one of his many accomplishments in life, and was featured in several gardening magazines.

Have a great time. I think it is very difficult to have a bad time in Brooklin.

2. Re: Brooklin, Blue Hill & DragonFlye Inn

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 21:18
Get answers to your questions about Brooklin
US$USD
Canada (English)
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.