We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ogunquit without a car

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,633 posts
67 reviews
Ogunquit without a car

My husband and I are considering a 2 night visit sometime this summer. We can drive but thought it might be fun to go carfree.

Is it feasible to take The Amtrak Downeaster to Welks, taxi to Ogunquit and have a relaxing time without a car?

Thank you for your input!

Boston
Level Contributor
24,681 posts
135 reviews
1. Re: Ogunquit without a car

Its positively doable to stay in town and never need to use a car. Their are Plenty of different restaurants to choose from. Plenty of shops and a beautiful beach that's 10 min. Other then leaving the village for something specific a car is not necessary. You can also get around by trolley which is inexpensive.

So as long as you can get to Wells and set up a cab to take you to Ogunquit you will be fine But Im not all that familiar with cab service in the Wells area.

http://mainetaxicab.com/hours.html

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,633 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: Ogunquit without a car

Thank you so much. you have made my day :)

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
95 reviews
3. Re: Ogunquit without a car

What a fabulous idea! The traffic north on Rt 1 just to get into Ogunquit can be quite heavy.

Here is a link to transportation options in Wells. It looks like the Shoreline Trolley may be a good option. There is also a listing of taxis.

Ogunquit is a very walkable village. Enjoy!

shorelineexplorer.com/arriving-by-train-or-b…

http://www.amtrakdowneaster.com/station/wells

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,518 posts
60 reviews
4. Re: Ogunquit without a car

I just think it is easier to drive and then keep the car parked for the duration of your visit. Having a car affords you the opportunity to easily hop over to Kennebunk, Kittery, or Freeport should the weather not be agreeable. Been doing that for over 30 years.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
95 reviews
5. Re: Ogunquit without a car

If the stay was more than 2 nights I would 100% agree with Mahj.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
56 posts
46 reviews
6. Re: Ogunquit without a car

Been coming here for 40 years.

One of the best parts of staying in town is there is NEVER any reason to drive for anything.

Ogunquit has it all.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,681 posts
135 reviews
7. Re: Ogunquit without a car

This is a question thats going to present different opinions from different people but to answer the original question is a car needed the answer is no not for 2 nights. Of course having a car there for convenience is a Must if your going out of the village to different restaurants or to visit different towns. Either way one can enjoy themselves with or without a car for a few days.

8. Re: Ogunquit without a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2017, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Ogunquit