We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week in Ogunquit in late July

Conyers, Georgia
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
One week in Ogunquit in late July

My husband, 14 yr old daughter and I are flying into Boston Logan airport on Saturday, July 23rd. We land at approx. 2pm and will rent a car at the airport. We will then drive to Ogunquit where we have rented a cottage. I have some questions and I hope someone can help.

Can we expect major traffic delays since we will probably hit the road from BOS to Ogunquit around 3pm on a summer Saturday? If so, is there a route we can take that is quick and avoids Boston's traffic jams?

Should we expect traffic when we head from Ogunquit to BOS the following Saturday? How much time should we allow to get there? Our return flight leaves at 4:12pm.

Is there a grocery store near the route from BOS to Ogunquit? Since we are renting a cottage, we have to pick up all our supplies. We'd rather not buy basics like bottled waters, toilet tissue, paper products, etc. at the expensive Village Food Market in Ogunquit. I've heard of Shaw's in Chelsea and Kappy's Liquor store next door. Would those places be a practical stop if we are in a hurry to get to Ogunquit?

Lastly, we found out about the road construction on Rt 1 in Ogunquit after we had booked our entire trip. I know they temporarily halted the construction due to summer traffic but will we be able to bike and walk where the construction is? Are all the shops and restaurants along Rt 1 going to be open?

Thank you to anyone who can shed some light on my questions!

Southern Maine
Level Contributor
654 posts
71 reviews
1. Re: One week in Ogunquit in late July

Hi there!

Saturday will be busy for traffic, but not as busy as driving north in Friday or south on Sunday.

You might consider hopping off 95 N in Portsmouth/Newington to pick up supplies. There's a Market Basket grocery as well as a WalMart, Shaw's and the like all close together.

As far as I know, all the shops are open!

Edited: 28 June 2016, 22:50
Boston
Level Contributor
24,681 posts
135 reviews
2. Re: One week in Ogunquit in late July

" Can we expect major traffic delays since we will probably hit the road from BOS to Ogunquit around 3pm on a summer Saturday? "

No, but as you approach the village of Ogunquit there will be traffic as Usual on every weekend during the summer.

" Should we expect traffic when we head from Ogunquit to BOS the following Saturday? How much time should we allow to get there? Our return flight leaves at 4:12pm."

Again No, The heavy traffic is on Sunday evenings when everyone is coming home from their weekend get away. I do this trip Every weekend during the entire Summer. It takes me about one Hour and 15 minutes to and from, since Logan is 20 minutes from me I would start your return trip taking into consideration Dropping your rental off, checking in at Airport and driving time from Ogunquit no later then 12 noon.

" Lastly, we found out about the road construction on Rt 1 in Ogunquit after we had booked our entire trip. I know they temporarily halted the construction due to summer traffic but will we be able to bike and walk where the construction is? "

Positively, I see no problems at all.

' Are all the shops and restaurants along Rt 1 going to be open? "

Everything is open for Business plus a few new places also opened up.

The Greenery On route 1 across from Juniper Hill, A must do for breakfast and Lunch.

Frills sold out and the new place Brix & Brine is doing well, in the village.

Ogunquit village has a wine cellar now.

The New Frills opened up a new place on Route One in Wells called the New England House, its doing Excellent.

Im Not going to address the grocery places since there's tons of them on the way. I would NOT go to Chelsea for shopping, its out of the way, Do as Mainemom3 says Or stop on the way if it has to be a Shaws

Shaw's - Newburyport, MA

45 Storey Ave.

Newburyport, Massachusetts 01950

Phone: (978) 462-7121

Maine
Level Contributor
181 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: One week in Ogunquit in late July

My suggestion for picking up groceries, etc. would be to stay on 95 until exit 7 in York, which is the exit you'll be taking for ogunquit anyway. Take a right off of the exit and you'll find a Hannafords super market about 1/2 mile down on the right. When you're done at Hannafords, take a left out of the parking lot and continue north on Route 1 about 7 miles to Ogunquit. Once in Ogunquit, if you need to get additional groceries during the week, there is another Hannafords about 5 miles away in Wells. You'll also see a Chase Farm farm stand in Wells, which has great produce. I also highly recommend the meats at Village Food Market in Ogunquit.

Enjoy your visit!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,518 posts
60 reviews
4. Re: One week in Ogunquit in late July

Just got back from first visit of summer. If you are heading south on Saturday particularly earlier in the day you'll be fine as heavier traffic is going north.

No issues with construction. Everything up and running. Loved the new sidewalks. I second the Hannafords supermarket trip ...

Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: One week in Ogunquit in late July

Traffic is rugged on weekends. As per grocery stores, when you take the exit for Ogunquit off of 95, take a right on rt. 1, instead of left. That will take you to a huge grocery store on your right (maybe 1-2 miles down the road). Only one way into Ogunquit. The local route the locals use are way too complicated (involving roads not labeled, etc.) You will just have to take Rt. 1 into Ogunquit like everyone else. Sorry.

Conyers, Georgia
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: One week in Ogunquit in late July

Thank you!

Warren Pa
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: One week in Ogunquit in late July

What cottage are you at. Do you have a full kitchen ?

Boston
Level Contributor
24,681 posts
135 reviews
8. Re: One week in Ogunquit in late July

" What cottage are you at. Do you have a full kitchen "

Finding places with full kitchens is not that hard depending on what your looking for and how long you intend to stay. Seacastles on Shore Road in the heart of town has 2 room suites with full kitchens.

9. Re: One week in Ogunquit in late July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2017, 01:19
Get answers to your questions about Ogunquit