We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

?Staying Farther Away and driving to the boardwalk

Dayton, OH
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
?Staying Farther Away and driving to the boardwalk

Was looking at Staying at Mallard Lakes, Frontier Town, Fort Whaley, or Ocean Pines areas and then driving down to the boardwalk area to do many of the activities (20 minutes). Typically look at renting a condo instead of a hotel and it seems that you get a lot more for your money.

What do I lose if I am not on the boardwalk and/or Midtown areas and drive to visit?

Is it hard to find a parking location to visit the boardwalk, beach, amusement areas? Is it costly? or Hard to Find?

Frontier Town / Fort Whaley Cabins also seem interesting as well, any recommendations on those?

Baltimore, MD
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
83 reviews
1. Re: ?Staying Farther Away and driving to the boardwalk

If you are coming from Ohio, I think you would enjoy staying closer to the ocean. There are many condos available in OC. There is parking available in the inlet and on the street but I wouldn't want to get in my car every time I wanted to take advantage of the amenities the resort had to offer.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
91 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: ?Staying Farther Away and driving to the boardwalk

I have never stayed any of those places so not much I can tell you. However to me if you lose anything it's the feeling of being on vacation at the beach. Some people obviously like that but not me. I only stay on boardwalk and need to be in the middle of everything. It's totally want your family desires but I want no part of driving everywhere and not seeing the ocean from my room.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: ?Staying Farther Away and driving to the boardwalk

It all depends on you and if you mind packing up the car to head to the beach for the day. There is a huge lot at the inlet you could park at for a fee.There are bathrooms and rinse of stations in that area for use before heading back to your accommodations. Again it depends on you and what type of party that will be with you.

If it's just you and someone else I don't see that being much of a problem. But if it's you and 2 kids then it could be daunting task to lug all that stuff every day to the beach.

Many vacationers stay at the campgrounds or over in Ocean Pines and love it. Most of the campground do offer free shuttle to and from the boardwalk daily. There's perks staying in west OC but for me to really weigh in the pros and cons I need more information.

You could always order a vacation guide to gather more information to make choices on where to stay.

http://ococean.com/vacation-guide/

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
105 reviews
4. Re: ?Staying Farther Away and driving to the boardwalk

Have you considered staying on the bay side in Ocean City? That way you are still in OC, but you would still be able to walk to the beach. The most it would be would be about 6 blocks depending on where you are, but probably closer to 3 blocks. Not far. And bayside is less expensive than on the ocean side of town.

As for parking, the inlet lot would be your best bet unless you're in town during an event weekend when the lot is in use and there is no parking or restricted parking. In that case, you'll have to hunt for a metered spot or lot and those can be very hard to find especially near the boardwalk. And Saturday and Sunday you'll find a lot of traffic coming into town, so a 20 minute drive from Fort Whalley or Ocean Pines can take nearly an hour or more. The rest of the week should be normal though.

You can drive as far at the Ocean City Park n Ride on Rte 50 and take the shuttle into town. Parking is free, but you pay to ride the shuttle. It's a nominal amount.

Check out www.holidayoc.com and www.cbvacations.com or www.lfvacations.com and check out condos. Also, the Carousel and Princess Royale Hotels have condos to rent as well.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: ?Staying Farther Away and driving to the boardwalk

It depends what time of year you'd be here. The drive to and from the boardwalk could take 20 minutes, or three times that depending on time of year and time of day. Coming in from Route 50 there are several lights to get through as well as a draw bridge that opens frequently.

I agree with the others, stay in town if you can. MAYBE look at West Ocean City as another option, but then you'd still have to get over that bridge but I have friends who stay in West OC and they come into town regularly and never seem to have much trouble doing it.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
58 reviews
6. Re: ?Staying Farther Away and driving to the boardwalk

We really like staying oceanside in the area from 120-145th St. We drive to the Boardwalk (usually just once during the week), but walk to the beach. We also like to drive up to visit Bethany Beach one evening and going down to Assateague one day. There are shops and restaurants that are walkable in this area, plus Northside Park, so we end up in the car only once per day or so which is the best compromise for us.

We've stayed at another inland spot on Rt 54 just past Mallard Lakes. The issue is that traffic on Rt 54 can be congested, and what is a 5 minute drive to the beach can become 15 or 20 minutes. Fenwick Island has very little beach parking, so you would be better to drive to one of the Ocean City cross streets (usually parking in the 135th-140th range, if you arrive around 10 am) or to the Fenwick State Beach (advantage: bathrooms! but there is a fee). Again, if you are traveling during peak summer weeks, you need to make sure that you are out the door on the early side to get parking at these spots. It's doable, but you'd be spending a lot of time in the car and you need to be more organized.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Cape May, Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
3,179 posts
69 reviews
7. Re: ?Staying Farther Away and driving to the boardwalk

I am not familiar with any of the areas you are considering but let me give you a little insight to staying away from Ocean City while on vacation.

A few years ago my daughter played in a softball tournament in " Ocean City". We all were excited to be heading to a beach destination for softball instead of some cornfields somewhere. When we were assigned our hotel, we were placed in a very nice Courtyard by Marriott in Salisbury. We were told it was only a 20 minute straight ride on Route 50.

Yes it was a straight ride, but the road was pitch black at night. The trip took far longer than 20 minutes, parking was annoying ( not impossible, just annoying) and it never felt like a beach vacation. We went to the beach once because it was such a hassle, went to the boardwalk one night, and back to town one night for go karts.

Perhaps where you are looking to stay still has a beach feel, but unfortunately our location did not. Just my opinion of course.

Edited: 21 March 2017, 23:15
Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
67 reviews
8. Re: ?Staying Farther Away and driving to the boardwalk

There is a big difference driving from Frontier town or Ocean Pines than Salisburry. I'm not sure why you would compare Salisbury to Ocean Pines in driving distance.

Edited: 22 March 2017, 07:45
Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
67 reviews
9. Re: ?Staying Farther Away and driving to the boardwalk

Like I wrote before, many hotels and campgrounds that are located in West OC offer free shuttles to the beach.

Parking is Not an issue if you do not need to park the car.

In saying that it all depends in what type of vacation the OP is planning.

Dayton, OH
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
10. Re: ?Staying Farther Away and driving to the boardwalk

Thank you for the replies and recommendations. We choose to book a deluxe cabin at Fort Whaley. We would likely do a couple of days at the beach and the rest of the time doing other activities in the area. It seemed to be the best option in our price range.

Get answers to your questions about Ocean City