We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruisin weekend

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
6,398 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Cruisin weekend

I just got home from my first visit to Ocean City. I booked the trip not realizing it was crusin weekend and didn't know the impact of that. The good part was that we saw a show at the convention center. The group Under the Streetlamp put on a great show and the venue was great.

I wasn't expecting the chaos and lunacy driving around town from this event. Speeding cars in bumper to bumper traffic, cars doing burnouts, some areas had more rubber on the road than asphalt. To me it ruined what could have been a great weekend. The boardwalk parade of cars was great as I'm sure were the two event locations, the convention center and inlet parking lot. I can't believe this reckless driving around the city is tolerated.

I'm sure the businesses loved the thousands of extra people in town but I wonder how the residents feel about this event and how it's run.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn at 17th street and we ate at several establishments and I'll be working on reviews but if anyone has any questions I'll try to answer in a day or two.

Edited: 22 May 2017, 10:42
Chesapeake City...
Level Contributor
357 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruisin weekend

Yes, the nonsense gets worse and worse every year. Police force is always beefed up for the weekend with bike cops, horseback, etc but you can't get all of them. We stopped going, or if we do go, we don't even take the cars with us. The idiots take the fun out of it. Sorry it ruined your trip - you should really try OCMD again in the future. Cruise weekend is always the 3rd weekend in May and I belive the 2nd weekend in October (less crazy).

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruisin weekend

We go every year, but learned LONG ago what the traffic is like and we get a hotel on the boardwalk, park the car Thursday night after dinner, and don't move it until Sunday. It's not worth it. But that's a good thing for us because we explore the boards and restaurants there, and we'll take a chair out on the parking lot and sit and watch the cars rather than try and drive. We'll go back for Corvette weekend in October. Last year was GORGEOUS weather for that and we had a blast driving around the beach with the top down.

We've never gone to the October show because it has a history of rain, rain, and more rain.

Holiday Inn on 17th was always a great place to stay. Haven't stayed there in a few years and I'm anxious to read if it's still as nice.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
6,398 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruisin weekend

I was really surprised the Boardwalk Tram wasn't running this weekend. We would have used it a lot. I have a heart condition and the most I can walk is about a half mile. For our anniversary dinner Saturday night we had reservations at Harrison's Inlet restaurant. We left 17th street an hour ahead of time. We were two blocks away and after sitting still in traffic for 15 minutes we ended up paying for parking and walking the two blocks so we didn't miss our reservation. The tram would have been so convenient.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,322 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruisin weekend

Tram doesn't start till this weekend Jerry.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
144 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruisin weekend

I am down here currently and at least from my perspective there didn't seem to be a large police presence as years in the past. The whole event itself is nice if you leave your car off the road for the most part. The boardwalk area is the best bet to stay at during Cruisin week.

Definitely come back during the summer months and I guarantee you will have a better opinion of Ocean City!

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruisin weekend

The boardwalk tram only runs during Springfest and Sunfest weekends, and every day from Memorial Day weekend to Labor day. That's it. But OC is fantastic. There is so much to do in the summer especially. All kinds of free events on the beach like concerts, fireworks, and laser light shows and movies on the beach. The tram is a great way to get around. Best thing to do is to stay further up on the boards above 15th St. and ride the tram. As for your dinner, you could have saved yourself the walk and had an amazing dinner at the Captain's Table on 15th St. inside the Courtyard by Marriott Hotel. Even the Holiday Inn's restaurant, Hemingways, is very, very good. Before you come back to town, send for a free visitor guide at www.ococean.com/vacation-guide .

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
6,398 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruisin weekend

I actually thought about the Captains Table but I liked the view better at Harrison's and the food was terrific. Hemingway's has no view and for our anniversary dinner we've always eaten somewhere with a water view. I figured an hour to drive two miles was more than enough time but I was wrong.

Is the tram a private business or city run operation? They could have made a lot of money this past weekend

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruisin weekend

It is run by the city I believe. I think it has to do with insurance.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruisin weekend

Always check for special events when visiting OC. I have fun all the time down there and the events usually don't affect me. I walk out my condo to the beach and then go to bars/restaurants that I can walk to. Cruisin Weekend HAS gotten out of control the past few years but it seems to be a societal thing (sorry, don't mean to preach but so many people don't care how their actions affect others). I have been saying that this event is "one burnout losing control and taking out a family on the sidewalk" before the Town does anything about it. I know.....you can't blame the 90% that do the right thing for the 10% idiots, but......

I did notice that a pedestrian was killed crossing Coastal Highway around 45th street, Saturday night/ Sunday morning at about 2:45. It was the incredibly dangerous combination of a drunk driver/ pedestrian not using a crosswalk, so I am not sure if it was cruisin' related.

Chesapeake City...
Level Contributor
357 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cruisin weekend

Totally agree, Dude. Those 10% really ruin it for the other 90% who are just there to enjoy some BA cars. There seems to be at least one sad story from the weekend every year.

Get answers to your questions about Ocean City
Recent Conversations