We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

canopies on the beach

Pasadena, Maryland
1 post
1 review
canopies on the beach

Are canopies still allowed on the beach at OC?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,734 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: canopies on the beach

Pretty sure canopies, tents etc. are still fine so long as they're positioned behind the lifeguard stands so as to not block their view of the water or other lifeguards along the beach..

Edited: 14 June 2017, 07:45
Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: canopies on the beach

Yes they are.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
105 reviews
3. Re: canopies on the beach

They're allowed for now. Rehoboth recently banned them, and I expect OC won't be far behind. But for now they are allowed. The rules for them are that they must be a minimum of 15' behind any lifeguard chairs (closer to the dunes). You need to bury the legs DEEP into the sand or use long heavy stakes to secure them because if the wind takes them and they hurt someone, you are responsible. They also cannot be enclosed and used for potty tents.

I have 3 of them, and can't even imagine dragging them across the sand. I'll stick with umbrellas.

Northampton, PA
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
4. Re: canopies on the beach

They are great for large groups. It's the only way I roll to the beach. I sure hope they aren't banned anytime soon. It's a shame that they would be based on some people not anchoring them correctly. I've seen umbrellas flying down the beach way more often than tents.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: canopies on the beach

I use a big screw that is used to tie a dog leash to. Dig down about 10 inches and screw it in at an angle. Then tie the umbrella to it and cover with sand. Seen a women get impaled in leg by a flying umbrella.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
105 reviews
6. Re: canopies on the beach

I agree about the screw idea. We bought a metal sand screw for the umbrella years and years ago and still use it. Also have a thick plastic one that woks well too. I've never been one of those who can get my umbrella to stay put just by sticking it in the sand.

hawkesbury,ontario
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
7. Re: canopies on the beach

great idea !

on my list.............

8. Re: canopies on the beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2018, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Ocean City