We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic patterns into OC Saturday 7/15

Amherst, New York
10 posts
Save Topic
Traffic patterns into OC Saturday 7/15

Hi,, in a similar situation, coming south from Allentown area,, and the GPS is showing Take Rt.1 all the way through Delaware. Staying just over the MD. border. Our check in is 3pm.

Two questions:

- is that the best route?

- what time of the day does the "rush hour" traffic thin out?

Thanks!

Baltimore, MD
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic patterns into OC Saturday 7/15

Do not take route 1 if it is raining. The traffic around the outlets will be a nightmare and you'll wait at all 14 lights.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic patterns into OC Saturday 7/15

Once in Delaware, takke Route 113 to Route 90.

Try to get there early (before 11 AM) or later (after 4 PM).

Edited: 10 July 2017, 08:58
Delaware
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic patterns into OC Saturday 7/15

Mirage is right. Depends on time of day. I always try to go off/hours or even off/days. I take Rt 1 all the way to OC. I just like the drive better especially from Dewey Beach South. When you get below the Dover Air Force Base you will hit a slowdown around Frederica (Little Heaven). At that point check whichever traffic app you use (Waze, Google Maps, etc) to determine whether you should jump on Rt 113 or Stay on Rt 1 around Milford. Rt 1 can be brutal but Rt 113 can be just as bad. You go through many small towns with many traffic lights that back up for miles sometimes. DelDot has a traffic app that they keep updated at all times. I recommend downloading that app to your I-Phone or Android device. This will be the only positive thing you will ever hear me speak about DelDot.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,701 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic patterns into OC Saturday 7/15

"At that point check whichever traffic app you use"

Not sure why you wouldn't check the traffic app earlier--or use it entirely instead of a GPS that's presumably not equipped with live traffic. My GPS has been relegated to the trunk of the car for use in total communications failure since its live traffic updates can't come close to competing with Waze's crowd-sourced data.

You definitely want to check on conditions via app once you reach 95. It's possible 13 south could be quicker for the stretch to Dover than 1.

Edited: 10 July 2017, 11:19
Delaware
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic patterns into OC Saturday 7/15

tubman.... I hear you but there is no other way to go than Rt 1 until you get to Milford. Doesn't matter how backed up it is do not get off unless you are forced to (road closed because of accident). I have made this mistake more than once. If Rt 1 is backed up I can guarantee you that Rt 13 is worse. That is the only reason I mentioned checking the app there....but yes in most cases I always use them.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
144 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic patterns into OC Saturday 7/15

I agree with Dude, sometimes it may take longer and the outlets by Rehoboth can be a pain, but I always take Route 1 to get down here. I just prefer the drive and enjoy going through the small beach towns leading up to OC.

7. Re: Traffic patterns into OC Saturday 7/15

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2018, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Ocean City
Recent Conversations