We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer

Cleveland, Ohio
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First Timer

We are considering coming to Ocean City next year and need some help with where to stay. We would like ocean front and either on or near the boardwalk. Would like to spend around $230 to $250 a night. Is it possible. We are interested in the Courtyard that is going up but I think it is going to be too expensive. Anyone have any good ideas? Thanks.

ocean city
Level Contributor
354 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timer

What time of year are you planning for?

Frederick, MD
Level Contributor
144 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timer

Our favorite is the Commander Hotel on 14th and Boardwalk. We've stayed there for the past 6 years in a row. Depending on which kind of room you want and time of year you go (July-August is priciest time) you can pay what you mentioned. I think the Promenade suite would fall into that $250/night range. How many people are going though? Although it does have sleeping for the number of people they say, the rooms we've had don't have closets/drawers for that many people. They do have armoires, but I find it only sufficient for 2-3 people.

The staff has always been very accomodating.

The main building is totally non-smoking (including the balconies) so you may want to take that into consideration if you are a smoker.

The Commander is located right in the center of the Boardwalk so I consider it convenient to most things. Pay the extra money for the Tram if you want to go to the inlet, that's quite a long walk.

And if you are looking for quiet, you may want to stay further up the boardwalk, past 24th street. (Stay Away from the Days Inn on 24th st.!) Also depending on what time of year you are going. The 3rd week in June is Senior week as well as the Maryland State Fireman's Convention, so it is noisy and crazy pretty much most of the night!!!!

And right next door is a good italian restaurant - DaVinci's. It doesn't look like much, but the food is good and reasonable. Then there is Phillip's By the Sea across the parking lot next door the other way (13th street) who has a great breakfast buffet for $8.95! The hotel there is reasonable too, but kind of old and run down.

Here is the link to the Commander:

http://www.commanderhotel.com/

Hope this helps you!

I'm an Ocean City Lubber!!!!

Frederick, MD
Level Contributor
144 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timer

Upon more thinking, I thought I should mention since you are first timer to Ocean City, MD, that the Commander and most of the Oceanfront hotels are not the luxorious type hotels. After all, it is a "party beach" so to speak at certain times of the year. At the Commander you will not find cute little bottles of shampoo/lotion or pretty wrapped soaps in the bathroom. Oh, and bring your own travel alarm, because people have stolen so many of them from the hotel, that they are not replacing them anymore!

We personnaly love the Commander, but knowing that some people really expect to be pampered in their hotel experience, I thought I better mention these things!

P.S. I think there is an Ocean City thread on things not to miss or things to do. One of the things we try to tell everyone is to see the Shipwreck Museum at SeaShell City in Fenwick.

Cleveland, Ohio
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timer

We are thinking of going late July early August this year. There are 2 adults and 2 teenagers (17) going with us. We have been to Virginia Beach the last two years and the kids love the boardwalk. Question... you say its a "party" beach. Considering two teenage boys 17 going on 18, would that be asking for trouble? Thanks. I will look into the Commander.

ocean city
Level Contributor
354 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timer

I would not be concerned about the two teenagers. In the summer Ocean City is a great mix of people, by far not everyone is here to party, get drunk and act like fools. The beaches and boardwalk are packed everyday with folks just down for some sun and R&R. On the flip side OC's bars are very busy and there is a good bit of drinking going on but Ocean City's finest do there best to keep problems from happening. I would still say that Ocean City is still a family resort. As long as the teenagers are responsible and make the right choices while in town everything should be fine.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Timer

If your kids love the boardwalk at VB they will love even more the boardwalk at OC. So much to do for all ages at OC. Your price will be okay during peak season. Some hotels will be higher so you need to check a few places to you find the right hotel.

My top 5 hotels in OC are:

Park Place

The Commander

Tidelands

Hotel Monte Carlo

Holiday Inn (expensive)

East Greenbush, New...
Level Contributor
78 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Timer

A lot of the accomodations in OC are condos/apartment rentals. That might be something to look into as well. If you are looking at spending $250 a night for a week, you might be able to find something comparable in a rental, even though your location and time of visit might mean you have to dig a bit.

We've been renting from cbvacations and I appreciate their website just because of how it is organized and the number of rentals that show photos. There are other real estate sites to look at (Holiday, Long and Foster, Shoreline), plus sites like vrbo.com.

There are advantages to renting, including more space and being able to eat some meals in and save some money. On the flip side, though, you have to bring your own linens and supplies.

Have fun looking. If you are going to rent, I would expect that the more popular places are going to start filling up soon. We booked for September of 2009 back in November.

8. Re: First Timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 17:17