We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new jersey a dry town

Level Contributor
601 posts
Save Topic
new jersey a dry town

I heard that New Jersey is a dry town, is that correct? We are thinking of going to jersey shores for a beach rental. although we are not drinkers, and we are grandparents, we do enjoy a cocktail or glass of wine, tell me more...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new jersey a dry town

Ocean City, NJ is a dry town. They do not sell alcohol within the city limits. However, if you are renting a house or staying in a motel, you can bring your own wine/beer/liquor for consumption in your room/rental.

Restaurants in town also do not serve. I'm not sure whether they allow you to bring your own.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new jersey a dry town

well, ALL of new jersey can't be a dry town! lord knows atlantic city isn't!

nor was whichever town on long beach that we visited a friends' house in some years ago.

ocean grove may still be dry, i don't know. i remember going there as a young child....after my grandmother died, my dad took my grandfather there a couple of years, with the family.... & that town had more strange laws than you can IMAGINE! NOT ONLY was it dry...but all cars had to be moved out of town by midnight saturday & could't be brought back till midnight sunday! only took two times before dad said "the hell with THIS!" & relocated our family vacation to ocean city MD where he could have all the beer he wanted LOL

you're going to have to ask on the NJ forums about which specific towns are dry or not, is my guess.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new jersey a dry town

this is posted in the OC Maryland forum, so you might want to repost it in OCNJ forum.

OCNJ is the only dry beach resort I'm aware of, & although you can't buy, get served or even BYO, there are restaurants & liquor stores just over the bridges in Somers Point & Marmora that will "whet yer whistle." There are no restrictions on bringing alcohol with you for use in your rental unit.

4. Re: new jersey a dry town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 01:29
Get answers to your questions about Ocean City