We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Cruise Weekend

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
20 posts
41 reviews
Car Cruise Weekend

Hi! My husband really wants to go to Car Cruise. However he has mixed feelings about bringing our son who will be about 16 months at the time, citing safety from burnouts, etc. What do you think? Safe?

Thank you in advance.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,299 posts
105 reviews
1. Re: Car Cruise Weekend

Oh my gosh yes. I've been going every year for over 20 years. The police are EVERYWHERE, and yes, every so often you'll see someone trying to get away with doing a burnout, but 9 times out of 10 the cops are right there and shut it down. They keep a very tight lid on the cars driving around.

BUT the issue we avoid is driving at night. Traffic is bumper to bumper on Coastal and sometimes it can take an hour or more to get to the inlet from anywhere above 75th St.

So we get a hotel on the boardwalk, do a buffet on Thursday night, then let the car sit and walk to restaurants the rest of the time.

If you stay north of the boardwalk and have to drive down to the inlet, I suggest you get down there as early as possible. Even before 9 a.m. There is no parking at the inlet so you will have to pay the meters or maybe get real lucky and find a spot by the bay for free. Or you can ride the public bus down for $3 per person for a ride all day pass. But the bus will be packed and very slow.

As far as safety, your baby will be fine. There is really no danger to him other than the normal idiot driver wh isn't paying attention. and you'll find that everywhere. The cars at the show are parked at the inlet and the Convention Center so bring a stroller. Lots of walking. And they parade on the boardwalk daily beginning around 8 a.m. (sometimes earlier). Lots of fun, usually some freebies, great cars, music, and good food. We're booked and ready! It's $10 per person per day, or you can buy a weekend pass at the Convention Center. Check out the schedule at www.specialeventpro.com

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
45 posts
194 reviews
2. Re: Car Cruise Weekend

I agree with the previous post. Its safe and fun. The traffic is a pain, so staying on the boardwalk and avoiding driving is a good idea. Actually the bus is tough too, because they are often packed! If you go during the day, you can stroll or take the tram. At night, people will put lawn chairs out along Baltimore ave, and watch the parade of cars inch by. The police do a great job. For a young child, I would suggest hearing protection so the rumbles and engine noises don't make it a scary experience.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,299 posts
105 reviews
3. Re: Car Cruise Weekend

Sorry, but the boardwalk tram doesn't run during cruise in. It won't run again until Memorial Day weekend.

4. Re: Car Cruise Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2017, 01:18
Get answers to your questions about Ocean City