We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry Reliability/ Living in Hull

Somerville...
1 post
Ferry Reliability/ Living in Hull

How reliable is the Ferry from Hull to Boston and back? Does it often get shut down for winds or choppy water? What is the best way to get downtown if ferry service is not running?

My better half and I are thinking of moving to Hull to start our family in order to be farther from the city but have an easy commute to work in Boston.

Any other thoughts on what it is like to be a young family in Hull would be greatly appreciated!

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Ferry Reliability/ Living in Hull

Dippy -- first, check you messages, just in case this thread gets frozen. For the boat -- it almost always operates. I would say that the likelihood of the boat not running on a day your employer did not cancel work is near zero. The alternate is the Greenbush Line from Nantasket Junction. If you buy a boat pass as a daily commuter, you can also use it on the train at no cost. The big thing about the boat, though, is free parking. (Shhhhh -- that's a secret.) It cost $4 to park at the train.

I did not raise children here... but the folks I know with school age kids speak well of the school system. The town struggles with expenses/infrastructure/taxes -- as do many towns that are not populated with an overabundance of high income-earners, but it's a very fun town with a lot going for it, not the least of which is being able to walk to a great ocean beach!

Happy exploring -- LMM

Edited: 20 March 2017, 12:33
Boston...
Level Contributor
4,348 posts
1 review
2. Re: Ferry Reliability/ Living in Hull

According to my co-workers it's very dependable.

I probably wouldn't base my life on that though. Things change and things happen so it's not a sure thing that will always be the case.

Also be aware that regardless of reliability make sure you're comfortable with the expensive and time. I would consider it a long and expensive commute. But some people are fine with it so that's subjective.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,718 posts
284 reviews
3. Re: Ferry Reliability/ Living in Hull

It's very reliable. My husband takes the boat occasionally to work in Boston from Hingham. It is quite expensive though for a daily commute. It's a lot of fun when the weather is nice, not the best commute when it's cold. But, as LMM says you can also take the commuter rail. I personally don't think Hull has the best school district, but you can look up stats on the DESE website.

4. Re: Ferry Reliability/ Living in Hull

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2017, 01:39