We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone had a problem getting there security deposit bac?

Boston...
1 post
Has anyone had a problem getting there security deposit bac?

I rented a home on Nantasket road in Hull for a week this past September.

It was very nice and great location.

But, I am having a problem getting my security damage deposit back from the owners. I have requested this via text message to the owner but I have not received any message back from them??

8 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
22,464 posts
693 reviews
1. Re: Has anyone had a problem getting there security deposit bac?

Did you book thru an agency or direct with the owner?

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Has anyone had a problem getting there security deposit bac?

We use VRBO.com and real estate companies for our summer rentals. In our experience, it takes about 6 weeks to get the deposit check returned. In our contract with the owners it states that they hold the deposit until the telephone bill clears for the month of our rental - some owners deduct any long distance phone charges from the deposit. We've always received our check (in full) within the 6 week timeframe following the rental. Check the rental agreement that you signed to see if there is any language there regarding the deposit.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,883 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: Has anyone had a problem getting there security deposit bac?

One text can be easily overlooked. Why not give them a friendly call? If you get an answering machine leave your number but let them know that you'll call again.....and then do follow up.

Also, when does your lease or agreement letter state the time frame to expect return of the deposit?

Since it sounds like the owner properly represented the property, all was in order for your arrival and you have no complaints about this vacation rental it would seem that the deposit would be returned to you depending on the condition of the rental when you left it.

Lastly, in future you may want to incorporate a professional, local realtor into the process as they have standards as outlined in the lease and they adhere to them. If there was damage or extra cleaning needed then a realtor would document and photograph the offense and then return the remainder or the deposit to you less the cost to correct the problem.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,883 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Has anyone had a problem getting there security deposit bac?

SouthieGirl, when we rent out our house for the summer rental season we use Verizon's long distance telephone call block for just a few dollars over the short summer season so there is no issue or questions about long distance calls. Actually I am wondering if we even need to keep a land line going at our vacation rental. Do you use the land line when you are there?

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Has anyone had a problem getting there security deposit bac?

Hi CCC - with our cell phones available, we have not used the landlines in the summer rentals for many years now. I suppose it is a courtesy to have a landline available for any renters who may not have cell phones (there must be some folks out there!) who may want to place local calls for reservations at restaurants or other local needs. Makes sense to have the long distance block on the phone to prevent extraordinary charges by renters.

I checked one of our leases from this past summer - this is what is written about the security deposit:

The security and/or pet deposits will be refunded within 30 days of the termination of this lease as long as the cottage is left in pre-rental condition, no damages, excessive cleaning or long distance phone charges.

Boston...
Level Contributor
8,153 posts
6. Re: Has anyone had a problem getting there security deposit bac?

We've rented the same house for three years now. It has a landline. I think there is unlimited long distance in the US, but I'm not sure since we have never used it.

I have good cell service in Truro but I can remember when I could not get service on my phone from some places in Wellfleet. I think that has all changed now as networks have expanded.

Our deposit was returned this year within about three weeks from the owner. I think our agreement says it will be returned within 4 weeks.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
367 posts
60 reviews
7. Re: Has anyone had a problem getting there security deposit bac?

Not sure about MA. But in FL you can not rent your condo/home unless you have a land line. The reason is if you needed to call 911 and a cell phone wasn't available to a tenant.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,883 posts
34 reviews
8. Re: Has anyone had a problem getting there security deposit bac?

It must Not be against the MA law Bayman because I've noticed that our realtor specifically notes in the house description if there is no land line.

Anyway, I wonder what Kackie's lease states about the return of the security deposit. Hope it works out for you, K.

Reply to: Has anyone had a problem getting there security deposit bac?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted