We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer family vacation to Hyannis

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Summer family vacation to Hyannis

We are a group of seven flying in to Provincetown 7th July - 21st July we are from Scotland

My parents 83 and 82 still dancing!! love to Jive or any dancing they are staying at Hyannis Travel Inn

Myself my husband children 18,16 and daughters boyfriend 19 have rented a house on Seabrook

Any information is greatly received

Car Hire ?

Trips? (we will definitely do Nantucket and Marthas vineyard)

Eating out will be expensive so looking for good food at affordable price

Any other gems which might be useful !!

Thank you so much in advance cannot wait to visit Cape Cod it has always been somewhere we have wanted to stay. We love America!!

The McVay Family

6 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
22,350 posts
693 reviews
1. Re: Summer family vacation to Hyannis

Flying to Provincetown? Not sure I understand wht you would fly to there instead of to Hyannis or Boston.

Will you have cars?

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,707 posts
283 reviews
2. Re: Summer family vacation to Hyannis

sea brook? Are you staying in Mashpee or is this a street in Provincetown? Why are you flying into Provincetown? You may want to fly into Boston and then rent a car from there. You definitely need a car on the cape. Are you planning to see your parents every day? You will be far from them.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
447 posts
84 reviews
3. Re: Summer family vacation to Hyannis

I think the OP means Providence, RI not Provincetown. And Seabrook is a road off of Sea Street in Hyannis.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: Summer family vacation to Hyannis

For food, I think one of the best ways to save money while on vacation is to get groceries. You (some of you) are renting a house, so that comes with a refrigerator. But you can also buy some things for snacks or perhaps breakfast, even if no refrigerator (your parents' hotel room). So I suggest learning where the supermarket is, and also convenience stores.

Make sandwiches for people for lunch on some days -- instant money saver over going to a restaurant.

I have to agree that I hope you are renting a car. Is that your plan?

Be sure to read a bunch of other posts on the Cape Cod Forum, plus some of the "Top Questions" articles -- you will pick up a lot of info. Also, a lot of us think this is likely the best guidebook to Cape Cod, which you can buy at any bookstore once you get there: "Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket, by Kim Grant. She may also have an App for your phone?

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
447 posts
84 reviews
5. Re: Summer family vacation to Hyannis

You will definitely want to rent a car. Use it to visit Provincetown at the tip the Cape one day and Chatham at the elbow another. You can do a whale watch out of Ptown or nearby Barnstable harbor. Barnstable is the town that Hyannis is a village in.

The advice to buy groceries to save money is a good one. From Seabrook Rd, the closest supermarket is Shaw's on West Main Street. Stop&Shop offers grocery delivery service at peapod.com. For deals at restaurants, try Embargo for 1/2 priced tapas from 4:30-6pm and all day Tuesday.

Ferries- Steamship Authority offers a round trip same day ticket to Nantucket for $50 Mon-Thurs out of Hyannis. For your trip to MV, consider driving to Falmouth and/or Woods Hole to see that part of the Cape and take the ferry from there. Hyline operates a fast ferry from Hyannis which is more convenient for you but also expensive. They also offer sunset cruises and deep-sea fishing trips.

Live music is everywhere on the Cape during summer. There is a concert on the Hyannis Village Green on Wednesdays and a "Jazz Stroll" on Main Street on Thursdays. Many restaurants offer music on Fridays and Saturdays. There is some current listings here: http://www.capecodmusic.com/events.cfm

Keyes beach is the closest one to Seabrook Road at about a half mile. Bring water shoes if you go as there are pebbles below the water line there. Craigville beach is the nicest in the area and about a 10 minute drive away.

Level Contributor
52 posts
6. Re: Summer family vacation to Hyannis

Did you rent on Seabrook road in Hyannis? That is not a good location for safety.

Reply to: Summer family vacation to Hyannis
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted