We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking family friendly tips!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Seeking family friendly tips!

Hi all,

My family is heading up to the Cape next weekend (!!). My husband and I have never been -while I'm usually a neurotic vacation planner, I've kind of slacked on this one! We will have our energetic 3.5 yr old son with us, as well as our 4 month old daughter.

I have received a few reco's including Cape Codder water park, some mini golf courses, and some family friendly restaurants but I feel like we need a better list of options! Please do share your best tips and local expertise before we hit the road on Saturday :)

thank you!

7 replies to this topic
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,875 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Seeking family friendly tips!

You can pick up a Duck Boat tour on Main St. Hyannis. Visit the carousel, also on Main St. Great for kids too is going to a CC Bay beach. Near you the nicest ones are in Dennis and especially Mayflower Beach.

If you get a cloudy or rainy day you can go to the Children's Museum in Mashpee and the little Aquarium in Woods Hole for a while.

Pick up the free publication of Kids On the Cape and check the calendar there or here: www.kidsonthecape.com

Lastly did you know you can find a list of 'Things to Do' town by town at the top of this page and with reviews.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,875 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: Seeking family friendly tips!

Because you mentioned the Cape Codder I thought you meant you were staying there or at least in Hyannis. Now I realize that you didn't say where you are locating. If you add that info you may receive more input.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
3. Re: Seeking family friendly tips!

Yes, we are staying in Hyannis but open to reasonable travel from there, as we want to get to see as much of the Cape as we realistically can!

Thanks so much for your tips :)

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,875 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Seeking family friendly tips!

https:/…

For the 3 yr old you might find that there are activities at Heritage Gardens in Sandwich and the Friday after you arrive I believe is their Free Fridays day which is just once each summer. You can check on both things with a telephone conversation.

Sandwich is historic and charming and worth a stroll over by 6A and around the pond as well. It is easy to reach on Hwy 6. Also a 'must do' while in Sandwich is to go to Boardwalk St. just north of 6A and walk out over the unique boardwalk to the beach. You can also catch a glass blowing demo at Pair Point. It would be worth picking up a map at the Cape Cod or Sandwich visitors center.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,875 posts
34 reviews
5. Re: Seeking family friendly tips!

https:/…td-bank-music-stroll-08-23-2018-8772

It might be fun to plan be on Main St. in Hyannis on Thursday for the Music Stroll.

Boston...
Level Contributor
201 posts
149 reviews
6. Re: Seeking family friendly tips!

Charlie is always a wealth of information! To add to his awesome advice:

The beaches facing Nantucket Sound have smaller waves and warmer waters than other beaches around the Cape. We like Craigsville, but Mayflower and Corporation are equally little person friendly. Go after the guards pack up for the night to get in free.

We loved the Chatham Pier and Fish Market. Real fishermen bringing in a real catch and seals bouncing around the water. Free.

The Woods Hole Aquarium is free and hands on fun for the little guys. We also liked the Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary.

Full trip report here:

https:/…86106596

Have fun!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,875 posts
34 reviews
7. Re: Seeking family friendly tips!

Link to Family Fun at Heritage:

https:/…