We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach suggestions

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
41 reviews
Beach suggestions

Hi There,

Will be in Cap Cod for only one day on business but will have about 4 -5 hours of free time. (have a car and hotel already)

I already found great suggestions to visit main street as well as some restaurants in the posts, but would love to know what beaches are a must see, and possibly take a take a little walk on. I will be there on the first week of November, so I asume it will be cold already but I have to see the beach, smell the air and feel the sand on my feet. I will love to come back on the spring or summer but for now, don't want to pass the opportunity to see what I asume is a beautiful travel destination.

thanks in advance

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,772 posts
1 review
1. Re: Beach suggestions

Go to the Cape Cod National Seashore - Marconi or any of the other beaches will work for you.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: Beach suggestions

Thank you!!

wil do

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,891 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: Beach suggestions

If your business is in Hyannis then suggest that you take 6 east to Rt. 134. Exit 9B. Go north to dead end (6A) turn L and then weave your way north to Mayflower Beach. (The right angle turn is opposite Dennis Market.

If you can go to one of the National Seashore Beaches then head to Coast Guard Beach. You'll leave 6 and travel east past the visitor's center and finally you will see the life saving station there. This beach always makes Dr. Beach's list for the top 10 in the US.

Be sure to have a map of the Cape. It's bigger than folks think. Do you have a message up by your name?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Beach suggestions

We just got back from 4 days in Cape Cod. The Cape Cod National Seashore is a must! We hung out at Nauset Light Beach. Absolutely beautiful and watched seals swimming in the water.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: Beach suggestions

Thanks a bunch. I can't wait

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
6. Re: Beach suggestions

If you end up not having the time to leave Hyannis, but still need your ocean/beach fix, then Kalmus Beach, down the end of Ocean Street will certainly do the trick.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,372 posts
58 reviews
7. Re: Beach suggestions

Are you heading out after your walk on the beach? If so, then would suggest South Cape Beach in Mashpee, which is in the right direction. Very nice long beach with views over to MV on a clear day. Natl seashore is great but would be in wrong direction if heading off cape afterwards and is about an hour (maybe little less) from hyannis in each direction.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Beach suggestions

Don't miss the National Seashore beaches and at least one Cape Cod Bay beach as well. I can highly recommend Eastham for both. Coast Guard Beach is near the Salt Pond Visitor Center in Eastham and First Encounter Beach is just 3 miles to the west. Both are clearly marked on Rt 6. For a lovely walk along high ground visit the Fort Hill Area in Eastham.

As for the weather...you just never know....it's currently 67 and balmy on the Cape!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,891 posts
34 reviews
9. Re: Beach suggestions

There are enough beaches for you to visit a different one each day on the Cape. From Hyannis though I think the best ones are the Cape Cod Bay beaches in Dennis and Brewster, the lighthouse beach in Chatham and any of the National Seashore beaches. Note that Coast Guard beach is always on Dr. Beach's list of the top 10 in the US and that you'll have the charming lighthouse there too.

For more info look at the Cape Cod (not just Hyannis) forum and check out the Top Questions on the right for a topic or two on this subject.

I agree with you that it is a must to walk on a Cape beach. Hope you get a little sunshine and only a gentle breeze for your walk. Enjoy.

EDIT: Whoops, somehow this appeared to me to be a new question. Guess you have plenty of answers now. Good luck.

Edited: 25 October 2010, 14:07
Worcester...
Level Contributor
20 posts
27 reviews
10. Re: Beach suggestions

I live in Eastham Mass and I agree with previous posts. Coast Guard Beach is a must. However, if you ave the time, Race Point in Provincetown is beautiful too- the tip of the cape. The bay is beautiful when the tide is out and I love Great island in Wellfleet. Hope you have good weather. By the way Coast Guard was voted one of the top ten beaches in the country.