We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Cape Cod

Ct.
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Cape Cod

My husband and I are going to stay at Bayside Resort for our first annirveray Memorial Day weekend. Not going to the beach is going to Martha's Vinyard worth it? Never been.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,366 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Cape Cod

Lots to do on CC or a trip to MV is fun also.

Ct.
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Cape Cod

Thanks, MV is it just walking around lunch and ice cream kinda place. The ferry ride must be nice.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
955 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Cape Cod

Have to confess here. We took a car across to MV when we went 18 months ago. The drive round the island was nice but some of the public facilities were absolutely disgusting. The washrooms near the ferry terminal we docked at were a disgrace. I emailed the chamber of commerce to let them know. I found the towns full of the usual tourist stuff and not that great. We did find some nice pet supply stores that stocked different items [collars etc]. All in all though it was a bit grubby looking.

I think if we return to the Cape we may take the ferry to Nantucket next time or just skip the islands and do more beach exploring on the main cape. We were very disappointed in MV, it was a bit oversold in our opinion.

Pete

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Cape Cod

There are the picturesque Campground houses in Oak Bluffs and the carousel there (read a bit of the history before going) , the sea captain's homes in Edgartown, the colorful GayHead/Aquinnah cliffs, the evocative Historical Society Museum, Chappaquiddick Island and the On-Time ferry.....

Anyone who only or mainly was impressed by dirty restrooms sure missed a lot of the good stuff. More than just souvenir shops and ice cream.

You can probably get a good idea of what various places look like from YouTube videos.

Edited: 06 May 2011, 11:44
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,776 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Cape Cod

Do you know that there is a Martha's Vineyard forum? Why not pop over there and read back through the posts and see if that helps?

cape cod
Level Contributor
191 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Cape Cod

I think the Vineyard is an nice day trip. The ferry ride is nice but you sort of need a car to see the island. But you can just walk around Oak Bluffs, shop, sit outside, and eat and still have a nice day.

If you have never been to the Cape you should really take a biplane ride. If you are in Hyannis you are close to the airfield, which is very pretty. You will see the Cape from the air (and MV in the distance) fly over Sandy Neck (ask to go by the lighthouse there) and if you want you can fly over the Sagamore Bridge. It's a great ride, two people ride side by side. Its my favorite thing to recommend on the Cape! (other then fried clams and oysters on the half shell).

Check them out here: http://www.capecodairfield.com/

Susan

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
955 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Cape Cod

Apparently the poster Tcantarelli doesn't read peoples posts very well. I never said I was impressed with the dirty restrooms. I also put in my post that we enjoyed the drive round the island. If you wish to criticise then at least read the post thoroughly.

We arrived early in the morning on MV and caught a ferry back at about 1800 hrs. So we spent at least 8 hours on the island driving the roads and visiting some beaches. We DID NOT spend all day looking at ice cream shops, souvenir shops and dirty restrooms. They were the bad things that stood out from an ok day. Bear in mind that they are called Public Washrooms for a reason, and if members of the visiting public think the washrooms belong in a third world country, Im sure that from that you could safely surmise that the people responsible for looking after said facilities might not put as much care into other things as well.

Anyway, I still believe that MV is oversold and that there were other parts of the Cape more deserving of our time.

Pete

8. Re: First time in Cape Cod

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 19:16