We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale-Watching Trip

Which Newburyport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sunrise, Florida
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Whale-Watching Trip

Is the Whale-Watching trip from Newburyport recommended over the trips out of Gloucester?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale-Watching Trip

First time I have heard of whale watching from Newburyport. Whale watching out of Gloucester more common I believe.

Edited: 08 July 2011, 21:50
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale-Watching Trip

I don't see how it could possibly be different. Of course there is whale-watching out of Newburyport, Mahj. It's the only whale watch I've ever done.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale-Watching Trip

Good to know!

Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale-Watching Trip

I don't think it makes much of a difference..since they likely go to the same places. That being said...do your research on the whale watch companies. To imortant than where the boat actually leaves from. I've been on a couple of pretty bad whale watch boats but these were out of Hampton.

I actually did not know you could catch a whale watch out of Newburyport. This is something I will have to try..since Newburyport is a much shorter drive for me.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale-Watching Trip

It has been about 25 years since I went but it's the same boat sailing from Newburyport. We saw a lot of whales, many Sperm whales lolling about alongside the boat. Many people on the boat saw a whale breach on the horizon, but I was looking the wrong way. I should really go again someday. Hard to imagine I never took my son!

Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale-Watching Trip

Thomas..my son loves whale watches which is why we try to go once a year or so. I am definitely going to try Newburyport since the "after whale watch" activities are better there than in Gloucester. The only times I've gone on whale watches and not seen whales were the ones out of Hampton ( unless you count those little minke whales..and they did). Ironically..my favorite part of a whale watch is seeing the Atlantic White Sided dolphins..you don't always see them..but they are a real treat when you do.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale-Watching Trip

what a rip-off that they would count Minkes! I have such vivid, childhood memories of numerous Atlantic dolphins in Maquoit Bay, off of my grandfather's cottage in Maine - it's amazing to think that seeing them could be so common - haven't seen one since.

Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale-Watching Trip

Thomas..tell me about it...I haven't been back there since.. funny so many sites that were common years ago are not anymore. I see the dolphins about 50 percent of the time so I am happy with that.

Newburyport...
Level Contributor
551 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale-Watching Trip

a little late to the party but nothing but good things to say and plenty to so after in town.

facebook.com/pages/…73613378100

Edited: 10 January 2012, 17:06
10. Re: Whale-Watching Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2015, 22:15
Get answers to your questions about Newburyport