We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog friendly swimming areas?

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
15 reviews
Dog friendly swimming areas?

We are visiting Orleans, near Skaket Beach, this summer and bringing our 1 year old labrador retriever. Are there any places around to bring her to swim? Like dog friendly beaches, ponds, etc..? What about a fenced in dog park?

Thank you!

13 replies to this topic
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Dog friendly swimming areas?

I realize from other posts that people are saying salt water beaches arent the best places for dogs. We are bringing our dog still and staying in a rented house. I dont want to bring her to the beach all day, just someplace we can bring her maybe in the late afternoon when its not as hot and hopefully a spot where she could swim to cool down. I plan to have her vaccinated for Lyme before that and will use Frontline since I know the ticks down the Cape can be pretty bad.

Boston...
Level Contributor
8,234 posts
2. Re: Dog friendly swimming areas?

It doesn't look like Orleans is too dog-friendly. Take a look through this site at nearby towns: capebeachdog.com/orleans,ma-dog-friendly-pla…

and visit the National Seashore Visitor Center in Eastham and get updated on their rules. The Seashore does allow dogs in certain areas.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet, Truro, North Truro
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
250 reviews
3. Re: Dog friendly swimming areas?

With the Seashore I believe that it depends upon bird nesting times.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
16,002 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Dog friendly swimming areas?

Have you booked your accommodations yet? If not then take a look at Ptown which is quite dog-friendly.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet, Truro, North Truro
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
250 reviews
5. Re: Dog friendly swimming areas?

Check this out:

bringfido.com/attraction/…

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Dog friendly swimming areas?

Thanks. Yes, we have already booked a house that is letting us bring the dog. But maybe we will take a day and go up to a beach in P-town so that the dog can come along. I have young kids too. Are any of those beaches listed better for kids? Their ages are 7 & 9.

Edited: 01 May 2015, 10:48
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,753 posts
67 reviews
7. Re: Dog friendly swimming areas?

If you plan to visit P-town, take the dog with you ... there is a VERY SUNNY dog park at the intersection of Shankpainter Road and Rte 6.

In town, many business put out water bowls and in front of town hall, there is a 'doggy drinking fountain'.

Usually by summer time, nesting season is over and dogs ARE welcome on the National Seashore Beaches, outside of the life-guarded areas. We like Herring Cove with our labradoodle. Despite her lab roots, she is NOT a swimmer, but she like to sit for a bit (under an umbrella at the sunniest times) and 'see and be seen'

Happy Planning.

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
695 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: Dog friendly swimming areas?

Here in Falmouth, I have given up on Frontline and the vet agrees. It doesn't seem to be doing the trick. Activyl treatment is going to be the next attempt, but it's going to be wait and see how it works. My Lab is positive for Lyme disease but is asymptomatic so the vet says there's no reason to do anything about it as long as it's not bothering her.

Orleans...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Dog friendly swimming areas?

There are a few wonderful places for dogs to walk and swim in Orleans year round. Kent's Point, and also the shore around from Mill Pond to Tonset (picking up after your dog is a big TO-DO). In Eastham you can go to Wiley Park (but you have to park on Herringbrook road and enter there - that's if you don't have a town sticker)

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,824 posts
133 reviews
10. Re: Dog friendly swimming areas?

pretty old post

Reply to: Dog friendly swimming areas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Orleans
Recent Conversations