We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand Fleas?

Rochester, New York
2 posts
Sand Fleas?

I will be in Orleans the first week in august with two golden retrievers. Do I need to be concerned about sand fleas? I know how to protect myself, but have not had the dogs to any New England beaches.

8 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,778 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: Sand Fleas?

On the Cape fleas are not as concerning as Lyme carrying ticks. My vet recommended my dog be vaccinated. It is a two step process

For fleas my vet prescribed bravecto. I do not know if sand fleas are covered by it. I would check with your vet.

According the this article sand fleas can be bad for dogs. That said, we have never had an issue with them. We have our pooch on the beaches at home from Oct to May and on the cape in August.

https:/…sand-fleas-on-dogs.html

Newburyport...
14 posts
2. Re: Sand Fleas?

You should know that dogs are not allowed on most public beaches on the cape from April/May to Labor Day. In Orleans, see this link for details: …orleans.ma.us/parks-and-beaches/pages/dogs-…

Best to leave your dogs at home.

Edited: 29 June 2016, 21:40
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,778 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: Sand Fleas?

They are not in Orleans but The National Seashore beaches allow leashed dogs outside of the life-guarded areas (still near the parking lots).

This is where we take our dog. Also leashed dogs are permitted in the historic cemeteries in Provincetown.

Sorry if I mislead you. I was on the Cape Cod forum and did not realize I was responding to Orleans.

Rochester, New York
2 posts
4. Re: Sand Fleas?

thanks - we are protected for Ticks. I just remember more than one sand-flea-induced misery from my childhood on the north shore. Glad to know I don't need to be neurotic about the dogs and sand fleas, just careful.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Sand Fleas?

But remember, no dogs allowed on Orleans beaches during the summer season.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
16,004 posts
34 reviews
6. Re: Sand Fleas?

I'm looking at a box of Vectra 3D. It is applied topically where they can't lick it like between their shoulder blades and fleas is the number one pest mentioned. It works for about one month. It states that it is water resistant but maybe your dogs will be in swimming every day which could negate using a topical. Best to check with the vet.

Here's another consideration. Where are you staying? If the dogs pick up fleas then you well may infect your accommodations be they hotel, vacation home rental or home of a friend. Then you are into a long and costly process possibly displacing visitors who follow you. This is why dogs are not welcome at many vacation rentals.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
133 reviews
7. Re: Sand Fleas?

from Town of Orleans web site below - you need to know these rules are enforced in all Cape towns -

Dogs are not allow on on the following beaches during the specified times of year:

North of Nauset Parking Lot - April 1st - Labor Day

South of Nauset Parking Lot to Trail #1 - April 1st - Labor Day

South of Trail #1 to Chatham Inlet - Must be on leash of not more than 30 ft. at all times April 1st - Labor Day (means off leash after Labor Day)

Skaket Beach - April 1st - Labor Day

Nauset Beach - April 1st - Labor Day

Rock Harbor - Friday before Memorial Day - Columbus Day

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
133 reviews
8. Re: Sand Fleas?

this is the National Seashore pet info

https:/…2007dograckcard.pdf

You might consider not bringing your dogs.

Reply to: Sand Fleas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Orleans
Recent Conversations