We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Provincetown questions: getting to the beach, umbrellas, etc

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Provincetown questions: getting to the beach, umbrellas, etc

Hi!

My best friend and I (both in our 20s) are planning on taking a ferry from Boston to Provincetown for the day sometime between July 29 and August 1st. I had a few question maybe people can help us with!

- what's the earliest and latest ferry to and from Boston?

- should we book in advance for the ferry? What are the chances of tickets being sold out if we just walk up?

- which day will be best to visit Provincetown? We have a Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Would the Monday be best as its lower crowds or would things be closed?

- where does the ferry drop us off and how do we get to the beach?

- what is the difference between herring cove and race point? Both seem to be very popular and I can't seem to make out what distinguishes one over the other.

- are there any umbrellas for rent on either beach?

- any recommendations in general?

Thanks!!

Special Offer
Go Boston Card
138 Reviews
from US$57.00*
US$60.00
Cape Cod Fast Ferry
52 Reviews
from US$61.00*
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,744 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: Provincetown questions: getting to the beach, umbrellas, etc

There are two ferries from boston to Prown. Their websites have the schedules. Make sure you know which one you book because they have different departure points in Boston.

www.bostonharborcruises.com/buy-tickets/

http://www.baystatecruisecompany.com

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,744 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: Provincetown questions: getting to the beach, umbrellas, etc

Race point is an ocean beach ... waves, long walk down to the beach

Herring cove is a bay beach. Not as wavey, short walk to the beach.

Research Ptown beach shuttle for how to get there. There is NOTHING for sale or rent at Racepoint. There is food at herring cove ... I do not know if they rent umbrellas and stuff.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet, Truro, North Truro
Level Contributor
7,044 posts
250 reviews
3. Re: Provincetown questions: getting to the beach, umbrellas, etc

There are two ferry serving Boston to Provincetown. I believe that one leave Boston at 8:30 AM and the other at 9:00 AM. It is a 90 minute trip. You can just walk up and board. The ferries dock at MacMillan Pier and you can rent bikes or take a shuttle to the beaches. I think usual return time is 7:30 PM.

http://www.capecodtransit.org/ptown-route.htm

Herring Cove Beach faces Cape Cod Bay and the water is a bit warmer. The extreme left

end of the beach is a gay section and the right side is general population, but you can use any part you want. Race Point faces the Gulf of Maine and is colder. Both are National Seashore Beaches. No umbrellas for rent that I have ever seen.

I don't think it makes much difference as to day. Weekends will be a bit more crowded but nothing will be closed on Mondays.

4. Re: Provincetown questions: getting to the beach, umbrellas, etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2017, 01:17
Get answers to your questions about Provincetown
Recent Conversations