We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy bike ride Ptown/truro area?

brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
137 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Easy bike ride Ptown/truro area?

Hi, we will be staying in Truro I want to rent bikes and go for a low-key ride. It looks like all the bike shops are in Ptown, so should I rent there and ride to Race Point Beach? Is that a pretty easy ride? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Race Point Beach
Race Point Beach
1,321 Reviews
Provincetown, MA
Special Offer
Go Boston Card
132 Reviews
from US$56.00*
US$59.00
Cape Cod Fast Ferry
46 Reviews
from US$60.00*
Boston...
Level Contributor
490 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easy bike ride Ptown/truro area?

If you do not mind riding a bike, google information shows Race Point Beach at 3.3 miles by way of US Highway 6 EAST.

As for Truro is 9.6 miles and North Truro is 5.8 miles in the opposite direction on US Highway 6 WEST.

Only you can make the decision if it can be done.

Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Race Point Beach
Race Point Beach
1,321 Reviews
Provincetown, MA
North Truro
North Truro
Cape Cod, MA
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,317 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easy bike ride Ptown/truro area?

While you are waiting for more input I'll mention that, for flat paths, you may indeed be limited to just the ride to the beach as the Nat. Seashore paths in that area are hilly as well as not being sheltered from the sun so quite a workout.

Hopefully Neslaw will see your message as he is the expert on this matter.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,298 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easy bike ride Ptown/truro area?

There is a bike path on ptown which is easy but can be windy. You can bike 6A to truro. It is a little hilly but far from difficult. Half the trip will be easy depending on winds. The ride has great scenery and passes the cottage communities. The road does not have bike lanes but is relatively lightly traveled and people expect to see bikes. The west end of 6a from ptown where it merges with 6 is by truro vineyards. Some good wives and very good craft rum

brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
137 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easy bike ride Ptown/truro area?

Thank you for the advice! What about the Head of the Meadow trail?

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,916 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Easy bike ride Ptown/truro area?

Here's a link to the National Seashore bike paths with notes: https:/…Final2008bikerevise.pdf

Do carry maps with you.

My husband biked every morning from Truro last year for a week. He rode both north and south but enjoyed the early morning rides on the Provinceland trail the best.

I can't tell if you are planning on riding the bikes back to Truro but there are back roads from Cornhill Beach through Truro Center to Wellfleet Center that a lot of cyclists use.

There was last year (and I assume this year but check) a bike shuttle that ran between Provincetown and the rail trail in Wellfleet with stops along the way. http://www.capecodrta.org/bike-shuttle.htm

Mentioned in this post
Wellfleet
Wellfleet
Cape Cod, MA
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,298 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easy bike ride Ptown/truro area?

I never knew about that shuttle. Great idea and hope it is running again this year. I was thinking the OP is staying in Provincetown. Same info still applies in either direction but agree that the ride into Wellfleet is nice as well. Only thing I would say is that it is thru the marshes and woods and is pretty hilly. The reward is getting to wellfleet but isn't as "scenic" as the water views along 6A. Also, there are bike signs but you have to be careful to watch which direction they are pointing. When I did this over the 4th, it was a little confusing.

Mentioned in this post
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Wellfleet
Wellfleet
Cape Cod, MA
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,429 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easy bike ride Ptown/truro area?

Many, many people bike from various spots in Provincetown to Herring Cove. A lesser number to Race Point. People do it, but I don't advise biking on Route 6.

Mentioned in this post
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Herring Cove Beach
Herring Cove Beach
809 Reviews
Provincetown, MA
Race Point Beach
Race Point Beach
1,321 Reviews
Provincetown, MA
brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
137 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easy bike ride Ptown/truro area?

Thanks. I have read descriptions of the Provincelands rides as quite difficult, and one of our party is in her 70s, so I am wary! (The ride to Herring Beach is considered Provincelands, right?)

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,916 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Easy bike ride Ptown/truro area?

Do you want a bike ride only or do you want to ride to a beach? There are bike shops near the rail trail in Wellfleet and Eastham. The rail trail is flat and an easy ride. You pass some restaurants along the way, and Arnold's in Eastham has restrooms and water for those on the rail trail. You can also get an ice cream as a reward for your ride!

It's only about a two-mile ride or so from MacMillan Wharf in Provincetown to Herring Cove. You would be riding on the street, I think.

Mentioned in this post
Wellfleet
Wellfleet
Cape Cod, MA
Eastham
Eastham
Cape Cod, MA
MacMillan Wharf
MacMillan Wharf
256 Reviews
Provincetown, MA
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Herring Cove Beach
Herring Cove Beach
809 Reviews
Provincetown, MA
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,429 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easy bike ride Ptown/truro area?

Herring Cove Beach is in Provincetown.

http://www.mapmyride.com/us/provincetown-ma/

Mentioned in this post
Herring Cove Beach
Herring Cove Beach
809 Reviews
Provincetown, MA
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA