We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Yarmouth to Boston

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
South Yarmouth to Boston

My family and I will be staying in South Yarmouth in April.

We are plannign a couple of trips into Boston and are wondering about thwe best way to travel.

We will have a car, but i've heard that the parking can be expensive and that also theres lot's of traffic.

I am thinking of getting the train up to Boston nad back - anybody got any thoughts or ideas on this?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

thanks ;-)

Mentioned in this post
South Yarmouth
South Yarmouth
Cape Cod, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,593 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: South Yarmouth to Boston

Are you planning on staying in Boston and where? What day(s) of the week are you traveling?

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,492 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Yarmouth to Boston

If you plan on going back and forth from the Cape in to Boston for day trips you will waste a lot of time travelling. Therefore, in my opinion, if that is the plan, I would drive in to the city rather than driving part way and then getting the train (i.e. in Braintree).

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Yarmouth to Boston

You could drop your car at the Transportation Center in Hyannis and take a bus into Boston. That might be the best way to avoid being shut out at one of the full commuter parking lots like Braintree.

www.smartguide.org/capecod/land-links.html

Edited: 02 April 2011, 08:31
Mentioned in this post
Hyannis
Hyannis
Cape Cod, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,447 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Yarmouth to Boston

Have you thought about staying in Boston for a few days either at the beginning of your vacation or at the end? It's not really a very good idea to do day trips from the Cape. How long were you planning to stay on the Cape?

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: South Yarmouth to Boston

Does it often happen that the parking at Baintree is full? That was our plan for next week.... Thanks!

South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
642 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Yarmouth to Boston

No idea about Braintree lots -but- if you're thinking of using bus, the Hyannis Transportation Ctr has a short and long term parking lot -- not sure how long one can park for free in short-term (their web site doesn't say) but long-term is a paid lot so another way around that would be to park for free in Barnstable Park-n-Ride lot and catch bus there if you wanted -- just make sure you don't get one that skips South Station/Park Sq and goes only to Logan!

The www.p-b.com site has details.

Edited: 23 July 2013, 01:10
Mentioned in this post
Braintree
Braintree
Massachusetts
Hyannis
Hyannis
Cape Cod, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South Yarmouth to Boston

This is not a good plan. It's an hour and a half without traffic from S. Yarmouth to Boston. I can see one day trip, but really you're not going to do that for multiple days. How many people are in your party? It may not be cost effective to drive to Braintree or Quincy, park at the T and take the train in. You have to pay for the parking plus everyone's T fare. I'd just drive all the way into the city if I was going to do that just to make life easier. If you don't want to pay to stay for multiple days in Boston, I'd suggest staying somewhere just outside the city to have easier access into Boston.

Mentioned in this post
Yarmouth
Yarmouth
Southwest Nova Scotia, Canada
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Braintree
Braintree
Massachusetts
Quincy
Quincy
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South Yarmouth to Boston

And I just realized this is a post from 2011, never mind.

South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
642 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: South Yarmouth to Boston

bmoruzzi: Yes, the thread was started in 2011 -but- was restarted by SabrinaCK as it matched her situation and avoided a duplicate thread which is good forum manners -- so that's why I replied also as the core info herein isn't date oriented and can apply to others in future who find thread.

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: South Yarmouth to Boston

Part of the plan for taking the train into Boston from Baintree was a stop at the Lego store there, and we were OK with the cost as riding the train was part of the experience for the kids (and not having to worry about driving in Boston) . The note about the possibility of the parking being full in Baintree is a consideration, though....

Thanks for the details and link!!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Get answers to your questions about South Yarmouth